2005 CRF450x Reccomended Jetting
  • Hondakid1775

2005 CRF450x Reccomended Jetting

by Hondakid1775 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:25 pm

Hello everyone. I recently purchased a rarely used CRF450x with a Yoshimure pipe. I am not a new rider, but I'm new to the 450 class. I am a B rider so I'm not going too slow but I'm not exactly blazing through the super tight trails around my area. I'd say I'm averaging around 15-25mph. My bike boils like a mofo though. It boiled again today after going a great speed through the hills, and I'm getting so upset. Now, my coolant wasnt TOO low and I had nothing in my overflow so it could be a coolant issue. But I've also noticed the bike runs SUPER lean (hence the popping on deceleration. I need jetting advice, I'm running from 3500ft to 5000ft elevation. I have a Yoshi pipe on it, (I cannot find a Yoshi Model number), hopefully I can get away with that. But I think more or less I wanna do a rejetting to it because I'm also gonna be doing in town riding because I'm making it a dual sport. Yes I know, 5 speed, 450 not meant for the street but save me and yourself time by not telling me that as I hear it everywhere. Plesse and thank you for any advice that anyone can give. I'm brand new to rejetting bikes, so please if You can find the kit anywhere please include a link or something. I'm clueless and tired of this thing boiling or some advice and questions if needed to come to a diagnosis.

-Ricky
  • Leardriver

Re: 2005 CRF450x Reccomended Jetting

by Leardriver » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:34 am

Popping on decel is completely normal on a perfectly jetted bike.

A 162 main in colder weather, 160 in the summer will work fine.

My '08 never overheats. Are your radiators smashed or fins flattened?
    JimDirt

Re: 2005 CRF450x Reccomended Jetting

by JimDirt » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:56 am

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

You mentioned the coolant was low in the overflow , have you ridden it since topping off all the coolant in the radiator and the overflow bottle ?? (overflow bottle to the upper fill line on it , not completely full) , unless your stopping and its 90 degrees plus , you should not be overheating , have you changed the oil yet ?? , did you notice the oil being milky/gray looking ?? , there is a possibility the head gasket is bad , but riding it after refilling the bottle and radiator should give a good indication as to weather you are losing coolant due to some issue .......also check your radiator cap , if the seal is bad coolant will keep dumping into the overflow bottle , then dump to the ground

I run my 06 with the jetting Leardriver is recommending and have no issues (45/162 *i run this in summer and winter from 2,000ft to 8,000 ft in 40 deg F. to 110 deg F. and at worst need to turn the fuel screw 1/4 to 1/2 turn either way to compensate*) , but , I do use a electric fan on the right radiator with a thermostat to regulate when the fan runs , and a 1.6 bar radiator cap and Engine Ice coolant , all which aid in keeping the bike from boiling over .... you have to remember that these 450's need to keep moving to stay cool , the only cooling is airflow going thru the radiators , so slow riding will increase the engine temp regardless of weather you are on a trail , or street riding in traffic or sitting at a stop sign or light (when you convert to street keep this in mind) , as will riding any tight areas where you are using/abusing the clutch , as the more you work the clutch , the hotter the engine will run , gearing also plays a part in that issue , if your running a higher gearing combo , like 13/48 or 14/51 , it will overheat when you lug it , you need to give more details on actual consistent riding conditions , if its tight single track with the occasional 3rd or 4th gear blast , the bike will run hot

Give some more info on actual riding conditions (how much slow single track , how much fire roads , 1st gear , 4th gear , etc.) 8-[
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho