2006 crf150f leaking fuel
  • rlh

2006 crf150f leaking fuel

by rlh » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:58 pm

My crf150f developed a fuel leak recently. I turn on the fuel petcock, start the engine and gas starts flowing under the bike from the overflow. I put some seafoam in the tank to see if that would help. Next I ordered a carb rebuild kit and replace everything. I kept my main and pilot jets because they were not stock. Still leaking. I removed the carburetor again took off the float bowl and checked the float height. It was actually a little low so I decreased the distance from the float to the carb surface. When I was putting the bowl back on I noticed that the float was hung in the down position. Yea, I found the problem! Unfortunately, I'm not sure what the problem is. The float seems to be hanging when the float moves down, the float valve moves out and jams in the seat. The pin is closer to the edge of the adjustment tab on the float. If I tap the wire hanger, the valve falls back into the seat. I tried to bend the end of the adjustment tab up so that the wire hanger would not move out from the center position over the seat. That did not fix the problem. Is there a problem with my float or is this a problem with the seat? It doesn't appear that the seat can be removed, at least not easily. Any thoughts?
  • johno

Re: 2006 crf150f leaking fuel

by johno » Fri May 25, 2018 9:07 am

I have the same bike and the same problem. The carb is sparkling clean and the float bobs up and down freely when off the bike--but when running,, the float and/or the valve sticks and gas pours out the over flow.
  • cpsmith5899

by cpsmith5899 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:10 am

I have the same problem with a 2004.

I took the carb apart and bent the float tang so the shutoff needle (not sure if that's the right name, when the floats rise, it shoves this needle up to shut off fuel. Still does it but it's intermittent now.
  • Back2-2

by Back2-2 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:02 am

The rubber tip on the needle valve is probably dried up and not sealing in the port. Common problem and even more common with our save the planet fuels we are being forced to use. Bending the float tab is really not the way to fix the problem and can cause a leak fuel condition due to the float bowl running at a lower fuel level.
    The other rubber parts in the fuel petcock are also drying out and will start to pass fuel through. That is a little round disc in the petcock valve. Symptom will be fuel leaking at the face of the petcock.
    Neil
    Black Hills of SD
    Life without Motorcycles would just be boring, really boring
    Honda 450X. Yamaha Tracer GT900. HD Fat Boy. Triumph Bonneville. Yamaha Majesty 400. Yamaha Grizzly. Yamaha Wolverine. Yamaha TW200