2005, 230f Runs on Choke only and Rejet Question
  • jerrytoo

2005, 230f Runs on Choke only and Rejet Question

by jerrytoo » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:57 am

I have a nice 2005 crf230 that developed the problem of running with the choke in the ''full choke'' position
    and that position only. I ordered a new stock jet kit that a mechanic friend cleaned carb and installed the new kit for me.

I remounted the carb to the 230 and it started right up but still runs with 'full choke'' only. Bogs and dies quickly if move lever to either of the other two positions.

Reading around for quite awhile online I have determined, I think,, that I need to re-jet to a different jetting. Most threads that I have studied the guys are wanting to go 100mph and race and jump whereas and start discussing the Power Up mods.
    I just want to quietly trail ride and use the little bike for easy slow going backwoods trail and camping, etc.

To keep the 230 as simple and stock and as quiet as possible, on modest retiree budget, I would like to avoid removing the baffle and the other few speed type mod$ and just change out, or add, as little as possible,
    So just need to know the least that I have to do and logical new jetting info to use and or what needles i need to swap out

150ft above sea level riding only
    I do have a new Uni Filter installed if that matters any.

Thanks for any info and ideas
  • Leardriver

Re: 2005, 230f Runs on Choke only and Rejet Question

by Leardriver » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:51 am

When a bike only runs with the choke on, I immediately suspect a plugged pilot jet, and secondarily, clogged or restricted passages from the pilot jet cavity into the bell of the carb. A new pilot jet is $6, and the one that came with the bike is not necessarily the correct one for the bike.

That ties in with your second quandary. Re-jetting a bike is not about jumping or racing. The EPA and lawyers have jetted these bikes to run super lean in order to make themselves feel better about allowing a bike's use on public land. That almost always means the bike runs hot, choked off, and not running optimally.

A motor runs best when the air/fuel ratio is at around 13-1. The engine performs better, runs cooler, and will be optimized regardless of how fast you choose to go on it.
  • jerrytoo

by jerrytoo » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:24 am

Thanks Leardriver,

I have been searching and reading more online this morning about the choke problem and did come to the conclusion that I do need to remove the carb again, and re-clean it to try exactly what you mentioned. I'll see if I can get it running as close to normal with the cleaning again and same jetting it has then decide what I want to do about changing things out in the carb to get it running as good as everyone says the various 230 mods mentioned online seems to help the 230 out.
    I probably will rejet and tweak if to maybe help with cold starts and help warm up the bike up faster, expenses permitting, just to have something to do and experiment some.

I mentioned the racing and jumping, etc only because most threads on the subject everywhere online that I came across lead to the author needing more speed with better responses and the more power,, and to even sound louder/better for some riders with baffle out, and just more speed and power being their #1 bottom line.

I mentioned that because I want almost the opposite so just letting folks know that my opposite, and odd, situation, is slow and easy, no more power necessarily needed, the quieter the better for me if possible, the less $$ the better.
    I wasn't bashing the speed and power thing if that is the way I came across, i just meant that going hard and fast wasn't my end needs this day and age. Being elderly now might have something to do with that too sigh.

thanks again
  • andrewspencer25

by andrewspencer25 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:48 pm

Hello so i dont know how to post my own topic but i need help with my jets! I have a 2015 honda crf 230f with a fmf powercore 4 slip on, kandn air filter and for jets i have the power up jet kit a 45, 132 with snorkel removed and im at sea level in florida. The bike seems to be running rich because its back firing and bogging. Also how can you tell of your bike is running rich or lean ?
  • Aussiecrf230

by Aussiecrf230 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:10 pm

Hi Andrewspencer25,
    What clip position did you put the power up needle?
    Have you adjusted the idle mixture screw?
    Is your airclean clean and not to oily?
    Did you remove the baffle and leave the spark arrestor?

If you remove your spark plug and it is sooty black it is rich.
    If white it is lean.
    Looking for a medium brown centre electrode and almost black outer shell.
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

It starts,it runs,it gets to where all CRFs can get to without the valve or valve plate dramas