CRF 230 JETTING DRIVING ME NUTS! WHY SO RICH?
  • Quadmaster50

CRF 230 JETTING DRIVING ME NUTS! WHY SO RICH?

by Quadmaster50 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:16 pm

Hey guys, first post! glad to be here!!!

I have a 2007 CRF230 that i fully rebuilt, all OEM stock parts, so motor is very healthy and happy..

I bought a FMF power bomb, and power core 4 muffler, took out top of air box lid and pulled anti-bakfire screen out with K&N filter that will be going in trash and a twin air installed soon..

I bought the power up kit, 48 pilot, 132 main and the needle in middle clip. ( yes i tore carb down to nothing and made sure it was spotless even running wire cleaners and air though EVERYTHING.. Im VERY picky..)
    set the fuel screw at 5/8-3/4 turn out..

I installed the said jetting and it started right up, when you quickly crack or " slowly crack" throttle open it would bog off idle bad, sometimes would catch up and take off, usually not, back out or she would die.. I fiddled with the fuel screw, no changes. ( noticed it ran great with 1/2 choke though )
    so i moved clip on needle down for more fuel.. same deal.. I figured id try the Mike Coe jetting, put in the stock 07 needle, 120 main, fuel screw out 1 turn and a 48 pilot.. horrible, popped and cracked, horrible response, exhaust turned red in like 20 seconds.

I took all that out and put back in my power up kit, back to the same crap..
    The way the bike was acting was a classic case of lean bog, I checked for air leaks, none.. ok so i put in a 50 pilot.. a little better but nothing amazing.. well after taking the carb apart and cleaning it again ( was still spotless ) i get mad and try a 55 pilot with 2.5-3 turn on fuel screw and....... BINGO!!!.. you can crack that thing open as fast as your wrist can open it, instant response.. It does seem very flat on top, but it PULLS HARD for a little bike in low to mid then kinda BLAH, figured a 132 was a tad rich in the top causing it to be flat.

My question is why is everyone else getting away with 45s and 48 pilot jets when I'm at running 55 and accruing to the fuel screw need to be at a 57 or 58?????
    Its 60 deg in garage where i was tuning and 45 outside for test rides.. I'm at 625 feet or so running 91 gas...
    What am i missing?
  • Aussiecrf230

by Aussiecrf230 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:11 am

It is surprising it has to be so rich at idle.
    Normally if you change a lot of things the idle jet doesn't normally change much as only so much fuel is required to idle.
    Your temperature is quite low so it may have something to do with needing more fueling

I would still think air leak somewhere.

That said perhaps in this case the backfire screen being removed makes a bigger difference.

Even with the 45 or 48 you can't crack it wide open without stumbling or stoping.

I would think with the 55 you would have to possibly foul a plug if idling too long.

Interested to see how you go keep us all posted.
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

It starts,it runs,it gets to where all CRFs can get to without the valve or valve plate dramas
  • Bill93

by Bill93 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:50 pm

So I was just about to post in my topic of hanging idle, as I finally solved all my issues with a different carb. But prior I had a similar issue where my CRF 250R ran perfect on a 62 pilot which was just wayyyy to rich imho. But the bike responded correctly. I ended up going for a ride and came back with the bike acting up again. So I took some carb cleaner and soaked the intake boot and found a very tiny air leak. Replacing the boot the bike ran really well on a 45 pilot 1.5 turns out.

I still had some slight weird Fuel issues and I finally decided to try this 05 CRF 450r carb that I bought which was sold as a 05 CRF 250R carb. Anyway, I took a broken 05 250 carb, my 06 carb and kinda mixed them all into the 450 carb on a 45 pilot and 185 main running the factory bowl. Bike instantly ran 1000x better with a nice proper 4 stroke sound "Finally". I hace a slight rich bog issue as the APP cam is more aggressive, and I'm waiting on a leak jet to come in to resolve that.

Anyway, check again OCD style for an air leak. Everything after the intake side. Even on the carb. You may find one. I did after checking 20 times prior.
  • Leardriver

by Leardriver » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:38 am

Does the 230 have an accelerator pump?
  • Aussiecrf230

by Aussiecrf230 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:08 am

Mine doesn't, the PD carb is pretty basic but does the job. You just have to remember to roll the throttle on from idle.
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

It starts,it runs,it gets to where all CRFs can get to without the valve or valve plate dramas