JD Jetting Kits...
    crfsonly
    Owner

JD Jetting Kits...

by crfsonly » Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:40 pm

We are now carrying the JD Jetting kits in our online store. If you're not familiar with these kits, they provide dyno and ride tested needles and jets for altitudes of 0-12,000 feet and warm to cold climates. In addition, to having everything you'll ever need in needles and jets, James Dean himself will be providing technical support in this forum.

Check out all of the kits available here:

http://crfsonly.com/catalog/index.php/m ... %20Jetting

Ken
  • WillCRF

by WillCRF » Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:14 pm

Ken,

I feel as if I am dialed in on my jetting with respect to the main and pilot. Looking at these JD kits, noticed they include several needles. Honestly, are there any advantages to these needles vs the stock design from Honda.

The kit also seems priced high recognizing there are probably jets I would never use. Can you buy the JD jets and needles individually?

Thanks,

Will
    '05 450x (Rekluse)
    '07 KTM 250XC-W (Rekluse)
    '05 KTM 200exc (Son #2)
    '06 KTM 200xc (Son #1)
    crfsonly
    Owner

by crfsonly » Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:10 pm

will...the value of the jd jetting kits are the research, support, and jetting for every altitude and climate you would find yourself in. if you are riding in a range of both altitudes and climates this kit is exactly what you need. the needles are custom made by james himself and are based on dyno and field testing at altitudes from 0-12,000 feet and 0-120 degrees.

i too thought they were expensive at first glance. however, to get the right needle and jets combination through trial and error can be equal expensive without the same success in the end...not to mention the time spent experiementing instead of riding. also, james provides direct jetting support for his kits. he'll come in this forum and answer anyones question about his kit or jetting issues they might be having.

so, to your question, unfortunately you can not buy the needles separately. the jets are genuine keihin jets not knock offs. his jetting is based on his custom tapered needles.

hope this helps...ken
  • WillCRF

by WillCRF » Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:56 am

Thanks for the quick reply Ken. Looks like another purchase through CRFOnly here in the near future.

James, if you are out there, I would like to hear your thoughts on how I should prepare my my carb for an upcoming family riding trip to the Crested Butte, Colorado area. We will be riding in the 8,000 to 12,000 foot range.

Currently I am riding in Kansas / Missouri at about 700 feet with temps 85 to 95. You can see the mods I have made below and the needle is stock on the 250x including the clip position.

I would like to set up the carb prior to leaving town recognizing I may need to do further adjustments when I get there. I was thinking of going back to the 130 main and 40 pilot jet. Which of your needles in the JD kit would you suggest along with clip position?

Also, do you make a similar kit for '02 XR100's? Need to get both boys bikes ready to handle the thin mountain air.

Thanks,

Will
    '05 450x (Rekluse)
    '05 KTM 200exc (Son #2)
    '06 KTM 200xc (Son #1)
  • JamesDean

by JamesDean » Sat Jul 09, 2005 10:37 am

Will,

Plan on lowering the needle 1 clip position and main jet about 2 sizes for the elevation change. Most riders find the needle change alone will affect idle mixture enough that the pilot jet can remain the same and the fuel screw adjustment is enough to compensate.

A few high elevation riders end up with a bigger pilot jet, which seems backwards at a glance, but between the lack of vacuum in a low pressure condition and the needle change they find improved results.

The jetting kit for the CRF250X was developed for a modified airbox that has the top open to flow more air. The main jets are closer to the CRF250R because of this change.
    The kit setting for high elevation (8000+) is to use the red marked needle in the 3rd from top clip position with a #150 main jet, fuel screw at 2 turns out.

Thanks,
    James

See-

http://www.omegasolution.com/pser/04C500/Barry%20Ross/co500_04_br_01.JPG

http://www.omegasolution.com/pser/04C500/Barry%20Ross/co500_04_br_05.JPG
    CRF450R (09)
    CRF250X (05)
    CR250R (04)
    KTM 530EXC (08 )
    KTM 250XCF (11)
  • WillCRF

by WillCRF » Sun Jul 10, 2005 4:47 am

James,

Thanks for the quick response. Does your JD kit include specific instructions on air box mods? Mine is currently stock but have considered opening up the air flow. There seems to be many options from drilling holes to cutting off the top of the box.

Great picture you attached of the Pearl Pass sign between Crested Butte and Aspen. That trail is our first planned ride when we get out there. Assuming you were there from the pictures, are there any highly technical (better yet, dangerous) sections from Butte to Pearl Pass? Mom is a little worried about one of my boys flying off the edge of a swithch back.

Ken, I have greatly appreciated the several "how to" posts on this site. One dedicated to air box mods might be helpful.

Will
    '05 450x (Rekluse)
    '05 KTM 200exc (Son #2)
    '06 KTM 200xc (Son #1)
    crfsonly
    Owner

by crfsonly » Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:24 pm

thanks will for the positive response to the 'how to' articles. i am working on a 'how to' opening up the airbox for the 450x...this should give you a general idea of how to do this for the 250x. in the mean time these pictures from Rick Ramsey's website might be helpful. Keep in mind that Rick didn't go as far as Honda suggested in the close course mods. For my 450X I haven't even opened it up this much. So, you really can't go wrong.

Good luck,

Ken

• calif-crf230

by calif-crf230 » Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:35 am

Any chance JD will have a kit for the CRF230??

There is a lot of opinions on a couple of forums but some sound advice from JD would be helpful.

Thanks . . .
    crfsonly
    Owner

by crfsonly » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:55 pm

i'm not sure...i'd love to see it. next time i talk with james i'll ask.

ken
  • mxmatt6

Hi Mr James Dean....

by mxmatt6 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:30 am

Hi mate,
    i have a jd jetting kit and live in Melbourne Australia. I have a crf450r 2005 and recently put on a pro circuit t4 muffler and QuickShot2. Had taken my jd jetting kit out after adding the exhaust and having jetting issues.. after playing with different honda needles im back at square one.. unsure of the instructions on your kit as i assume they relate to the u.s and the bike being stock? what specs would you recommend when putting the JD jetting kit back in...
    Thanks and kind regards.
    Matt
  • mxmatt6

by mxmatt6 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:37 pm

going to try jd jetting kit again......178main, 45 pilot and blue needle on the 4th clip.... does this sound right for frankston, melbourne???
    2005 crf450r
  • lordvader

Got mine

by lordvader » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:38 am

I ordered my kit from CRFs only this week. I do have some setup questions for my CRF250X in the jetting section. If you have time please answer back.
    crfsonly
    Owner

Re: Got mine

by crfsonly » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:23 pm

lordvader wrote:I ordered my kit from CRFs only this week. I do have some setup questions for my CRF250X in the jetting section. If you have time please answer back.

ask your question as a new topic in this jetting forum or in the CRF250X forum. we'll all be more than happy to help.

ken
    OEM Parts for Honda - Yamaha - Suzuki - Kawasaki: http://yeltrik.com

2007 CRF450R hard starting after adding megabomb and JD Jett

by rheron » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:11 pm

2007 CRF450R, stock motor, 42 idle jet, fuel screw ~ 2 turns, JD jetting main/needle, megabomb, stock exhaust.

Went down on the trails and bent the stock pipe pretty well, then decided to try the megabomb. Went riding but found that the bike felt very peaky (hitting very hard down low but not having the smooth mid that was there on the stock pipe), so changed jetting to the JD jet kit (at recommended 190, red needle and clip in fifth position).

Now the bike is starting very inconsistently (sometimes fires on the first kick (choke, no throttle) but most times, just kicks over like its flooded (can smell gas). Is this something to do with the megabomb (should I take the idle jet to 45 ?) Dont expect any issues from the JD kit but wonder if going to the megabomb if I need a different idle jet ?

Bought the bike ~3 months ago and had a shop measure the valves (intake at 0.008"). Only been on three rides since.

Sucks to have the bike misbehaving in the middle of the riding season. Already dropped the fuel, checked the idle jet. Next steps planned are:

1) pull, inspect and replace plug
    2) carb teardown and clean
    3) valve re-measurement and adjust

Any suggestions before I start digging in are appreciated.

Ralph-
    crfsonly
    Owner

by crfsonly » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:17 pm

yes...try a 45 pilot and see how it responds. i'm assuming that you know the jets are not clogged, no ACP, float or floating valve seal issues?

ken
    OEM Parts for Honda - Yamaha - Suzuki - Kawasaki: http://yeltrik.com