Draining the coolant
    mikey526

Draining the coolant

by mikey526 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:38 pm

Since its winter and riding's done till February (or whenever the snow and ice is gone!) I'm doing the bike prep for the coming new year. I figured the coolant should be replaced, and I watched the video on motocross.com about how to do it. I searched on here and found one post where they said

drain the coolant, flush with water, flush with 50/50 mix of white vinegar and water, then flush with "chase" water, then add new coolant.

So I'm guessing that the "chase" water is just regular distilled water that you flush through to get all of the white vinegar, old coolant, and distilled water out. Is this correct? And I heard somewhere that your supposed to air dry the insides with compressed air after flushing them... is this necessary?

Any tips or a how-to on how-to would be awesome.

Mike 8)
    JAWS

by JAWS » Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:02 pm

That post had to do with changing from the standard Honda coolant to Engine Ice coolant. The two do not mix. If you are going to go back to the standard, a simple drain, flush until the water runs clear, and refill should be OK.
    Joe
    '05 CRF450X,McClain suspension, Cycra Probends, Pastrana FMX Pro Tapers,BRP Sub mount & Scotts stabilizer.See carb sticky for more
    RLPII

Coolant?

by RLPII » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:30 pm

Coolant, what's that? :P :twisted:

Just kidding - CRF230F!
  • red_rider5

by red_rider5 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:32 pm

Just picked up an 2011 crf450. It has regular antifreeze in it, green in color. I plan to drain it and put Engine Ice in. Do I have to flush it. Or can I drain it the best I can and pour in the engine ice. Should I flush with distilled water? Thanks, Adam
    crfsonly
    Owner

by crfsonly » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:45 pm

you'll want to flush with 50/50 mix of white vinegar and water, then flush with distilled water then fill with engine ice.

ken
    OEM Parts for Honda - Yamaha - Suzuki - Kawasaki: http://yeltrik.com