Puttin' the header pipe on ice...
  • nedirtbikr

Puttin' the header pipe on ice...

by nedirtbikr » Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:20 pm

Can someone help me? I saw a thread somewhere here (obviously, I can't find it) about a procedure where you fill your header pipe with water and freeze it to get it back in shape. Can someone help me find that thread? Or, if you've done it successfully, can you clue me in on the exact method to pulling this little procedure off?

Thanks guys!
    2006 CRF450R (For Sale)
    A-47753 (Jumpin' dirt and clouds!)
    Proud member of the Hamster Nation!
    crfsonly
    Owner

by crfsonly » Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:27 pm

OEM Parts for Honda - Yamaha - Suzuki - Kawasaki: http://yeltrik.com

by uniped » Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:36 pm

I have a problem with this theory but could be wrong. Looks good on paper but I do not think you can control where the expansion of the water will stop with out using a little math. you would need the desired volume as well as the current volume and relate that to the expansion rate of water at its freezing point from there it is easy use plugs from a plumbig supply and throw it in the freezer. I may be wrong though.

Scott
    ________
    BOND INSURANCE DICUSSION
    Last edited by uniped on Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
    KevinM

by KevinM » Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:18 pm

Yes, those darned old strong forces of nuclear physics can be troublesome when applied to header pipes. Better go with air pressures. Much more controllable.
    09 CRF 450R
    07 CRF 250R
    45 plt /175 main /JD Red-5th pos
    FS 2 trns
    05 CRF 250X
    42 Plt /162 Main /JD Red Needle- 5th pos
    CRFsOnly Fuel Screw 1-7/8 trns out (2 turns winter)
    TwinAir PowerFlo Kit /Opened Airbox /White Bros E2
  • nedirtbikr

by nedirtbikr » Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:54 pm

Well, $hit! With all that, I may as well just get a new one. Now you guys have me puckering a bit about splittin' the darn thing. Hmmm...I guess I'll reread the thread and go from there. Thanks for the thread.
    2006 CRF450R (For Sale)
    UteMachine

by UteMachine » Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:49 am

I've thought the same thing as everyone else, "wouldn't it just take the path of least resistance and expand out the ends?"

However, not having personally tried it, I have heard of several people doing it succesfully. Give it a try Ned, you have nothing to lose.
    ImageImage

"Kicking and a gouging in the mud, the blood, and the beer."
    -Johnny Cash
  • nedirtbikr

by nedirtbikr » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:46 am

I think I may try the freezer method after getting a new pipe. If nothing else, I'll have a backup between the new and old repaired (if it works) pipe. We'll see...
    2006 CRF450R (For Sale)
    Danny

by Danny » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:09 pm

nedirtbikr wrote:Well, $hit! With all that, I may as well just get a new one. Now you guys have me puckering a bit about splittin' the darn thing. Hmmm...I guess I'll reread the thread and go from there.

Mine is pretty much toast I would like to try to fix it for a spare.So if I ruin it no huge loss, But seems to me you are gonna need some mighty strong plugs in the ends of that pipe.

I have seen the ones plumbers use to test with, Blow and flood us out,at work more than once.

Keep me posted on your progress Mark.

Danny

Danny

by 124 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:11 am

There's always the repair route. I believe that Pacific Crest is also fixing Ti pipes as well. Not sure how he does it, but I'm sure its quality. He's fixed a number of my pipes and I've been very pleased with his work...

www.piperepair.com
    70' Honda CT70 (Trail 70; Gold)
    16' KX450
    16' KX85
    12' YZ125
  • nedirtbikr

by nedirtbikr » Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:29 am

124 wrote:There's always the repair route. I believe that Pacific Crest is also fixing Ti pipes as well. Not sure how he does it, but I'm sure its quality. He's fixed a number of my pipes and I've been very pleased with his work... www.piperepair.com
    Thanks! I emailed them this morning. They show a $50+shipping cost for pipe repair. If that also applies to the 450 Ti pipe, that's not bad. I figure it'll probably cost me at least $10 - $20 for those plugs Danny mentioned. We'll see what they say and go from there.

Danny - where'd you get your Ti header for $185? Thanks!
    2006 CRF450R (For Sale)
  • nedirtbikr

by nedirtbikr » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:11 am

nedirtbikr wrote:
    124 wrote:There's always the repair route. I believe that Pacific Crest is also fixing Ti pipes as well. Not sure how he does it, but I'm sure its quality. He's fixed a number of my pipes and I've been very pleased with his work... www.piperepair.com
    Thanks! I emailed them this morning.
    Well, as usual...no return email or anything. What is it with businesses that offer "contact us" choices on their website and then never seem to use it. I guess it just the "common courtesy" side of me griping. If you offer something to your customers...whether it's a product or a service (and I consider the "contact us" link on a website a "service",) you should live up to it. VERY frustrating! It shouldn't "require" a phone call. Just my bitchin' I guess.

Tried the "freezer" method and it didn't do a thing. Anyone have a recommendation of where to buy decently priced header pipes? I think I'm just going to go ahead with the stainless pipe.

Thanks all!
    2006 CRF450R (For Sale)

by 124 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:26 am

That sucks Mark. Did you try calling them? Bret (I think is his name) was always pretty responsive when I dealt with him in the past. Oh well, if you do decide anything, the guy does good work.
    70' Honda CT70 (Trail 70; Gold)
    16' KX450
    16' KX85
    12' YZ125
    Danny

by Danny » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:36 pm

nedirtbikr wrote:
    nedirtbikr wrote:
    Thanks! I emailed them this morning.
    Well, as usual...no return email or anything. What is it with businesses that offer "contact us" choices on their website and then never seem to use it. I guess it just the "common courtesy" side of me griping. If you offer something to your customers...whether it's a product or a service (and I consider the "contact us" link on a website a "service",) you should live up to it. VERY frustrating! It shouldn't "require" a phone call. Just my bitchin' I guess.

Tried the "freezer" method and it didn't do a thing. Anyone have a recommendation of where to buy decently priced header pipes? I think I'm just going to go ahead with the stainless pipe.

Thanks all!

Mark,
    I e-mailed them as well,
    I even attached a photo and wrote can you fix this?
    No reply at all,Just went out and bought a new one.

Danny
  • nedirtbikr

by nedirtbikr » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:28 am

124 wrote:That sucks Mark. Did you try calling them? Bret (I think is his name) was always pretty responsive when I dealt with him in the past. Oh well, if you do decide anything, the guy does good work.
    No, I didn't try calling. I suppose I could...it just frustrates me when companies "appear" unresponsive. I trust your recommendation for using them...I just get a little pissy about these kinds of things.
    2006 CRF450R (For Sale)
    IKE607

by IKE607 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:14 am

On another message board I belong to, this topic has come up recently. Several members have used this method with great success. The common thread seems to be that you need to first put in only enough water to pass the area with the dent. Then, place it in the freezer so the water is where the dented portion is, and freeze. They do not recommend filling it completely and plugging the ends as it may split the pipe. Another common thread to all the success stories seems to be more than one application. Some guys have taken it out, thawed it a little, put it back in overnight. Some had to do this more than once, but all say after at least a couple applications, the dent was completely gone. Some got lucky and it came out the first try. I think it depends on the shape and severity of the dent. If you don't plug the ends, you won't have to worry about splitting the pipe...
    '06CRF450R NEW TO THUMPER AND LOVING IT!!