front forks going down and not returning up
    luisonair

front forks going down and not returning up

by luisonair » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:09 pm

Hi everyone, I recently sent my CRF 250x 2004 for front fork seals and fork oil replacement to a local shop, but now the front forks seem to go down and not returning up, it feels like sinking unless I pull them up. When the bike is on it`s side stand and then I straight the bike up it feels like going down and when I try to press the suspension further it seems to be bottomed. What can it be? bad assembling?, incorrect oil level? parts damaged while reassembling? everything was working correctly unless it was leaking oil from the left fork. I was thinking on taking all apart and reassemble it with new seals and oil by myself but I have never done this before. What is the best thing to do? what can it be the problem? any help is very appreciated
    thanks in advance
    2004 CRF250X
    2007 CRF230F
  • Leardriver

Re: front forks going down and not returning up

by Leardriver » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:26 pm

The springs should push them back out quite firmly, unless they are bound up or pinched sideways.
    I would take them off and see if the are like that individually. Maybe a pinched or deformed tube?
  • Aussiecrf230

by Aussiecrf230 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:13 pm

Check the rebound setting isn'tfully adjusted so it is super slow to rebound to the centre of travel. Back it off to minimum and see if that helps. Undo the clamps arond the axle in case it is causing things to twist and bind up,.
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

It starts,it runs,it gets to where all CRFs can get to without the valve or valve plate dramas
  • Back2-2

by Back2-2 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:45 am

The first thing I would do is go back to the shop that did the work for you and talk with them. Tell them your concerns and see what they have to say about it. Give them a chance to rectify the problem. If that does not work consider doing the disassembly and inspection yourself. But, you will need a service manual and a some mechanical skills. These forks are not difficult to work on but do require some attention to details.
    Neil
    Black Hills of SD
    Life without Motorcycles would just be boring, really boring
    Honda 450X. Yamaha Tracer GT900. HD Fat Boy. Triumph Bonneville. Yamaha Majesty 400. Yamaha Grizzly. Yamaha Wolverine. Yamaha TW200
    luisonair

by luisonair » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:22 pm

The springs should push them back out quite firmly, unless they are bound up or pinched sideways.
    I would take them off and see if the are like that individually. Maybe a pinched or deformed tube?
    Thanks Leardriver, I think that is a spring problem too I just uncap the upper fork caps to see if the inner cartridge was returning to position after pressing them (and yeah they did, so I think they didn`t opened them to exchange the oil in there) and to observe the tubes from inside and they look fine, I´ll check those springs, the thing that bothers me is before that service the forks had not that problem.
    2004 CRF250X
    2007 CRF230F
    luisonair

by luisonair » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:45 pm

Check the rebound setting isn'tfully adjusted so it is super slow to rebound to the centre of travel. Back it off to minimum and see if that helps. Undo the clamps arond the axle in case it is causing things to twist and bind up,.
    The rebound setting is totally to the left or all the way soft, I`ll check that clamps around the axle, thank you.
    You mentioned the centre of travel, the situation that I feel weird is that when the bike is on it´s side stand and then you straight the bike up, it goes down more or less one inch and a half, something like the suspension could not handle the weight of the handlebar. With a little effort pressing the handlebar down it goes to a measure of 7.9 inches between the tire and the front fender. A friend of mine has a CRF 250x 2005 and when you straight the bike up it stays the same (does not go down by itself) and then if you press the suspension down it will go and stays somewhere similar to mine around 8 inches between front fender and the tire, but the difference is when you return the bike to the side stand position the forks returns to the starting state like suspension elongating a little bit and my bike stays down.
    2004 CRF250X
    2007 CRF230F
    luisonair

by luisonair » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:56 pm

The first thing I would do is go back to the shop that did the work for you and talk with them. Tell them your concerns and see what they have to say about it. Give them a chance to rectify the problem. If that does not work consider doing the disassembly and inspection yourself. But, you will need a service manual and a some mechanical skills. These forks are not difficult to work on but do require some attention to details.
    Yeah you are right but since I´m suspecting they could exchange my springs for another out of spec or damaged ones I don´t trust in them anymore, but yeah I think i`ll tell them and give the chance to say something about it.
    About the mechanical skills I like to change oils of my bike, I exchanged clutch discs and plates, stuff like that and yeah I have the service manual, but I have never went more than that. maybe is the moment to go further and take all apart paying serious attention to details, thank you.
    2004 CRF250X
    2007 CRF230F
  • Aussiecrf230

by Aussiecrf230 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:08 pm

Did your original springs go back in, or have they accidentally put the wrong springs back in? Definetely talk to them.
    luisonair

by luisonair » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:28 pm

Did your original springs go back in, or have they accidentally put the wrong springs back in? Definetely talk to them.
    Yeah, I´m guessing they "accidentally" put another ones (from another bike with bad springs or softer ones) I`ll talk to them on Monday and see what they have to say.
    Is very suspicious since my springs felt very strong before the seals exchange and now feel too soft.
    Could it be low fork oil level?
    2004 CRF250X
    2007 CRF230F
  • Aussiecrf230

by Aussiecrf230 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:20 am

Springs hold the bike up, the oil viscosity, level and adjusters determines how rapidly the forks can move. You have to think someone else has stiff suspension.
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

It starts,it runs,it gets to where all CRFs can get to without the valve or valve plate dramas