250L fork swap question
  • SGT_Slug

250L fork swap question

by SGT_Slug » Mon May 01, 2017 6:15 am

I have a friend parting out his 09 KX450F and I want to grab the front suspension to put on my 250L. Would the forks from the KX fit on my 250L as a straight swap, or would I need to do anything extra to get them to work? Any help would be appreciated.
    JimDirt

Re: 250L fork swap question

by JimDirt » Mon May 01, 2017 9:42 pm

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

OK , the main issue is going to be the 250L has 43mm forks and the KXF has 48mm , so about the only way your going to make anything work is to either "try" to adapt the 450 clamps to fit the steering stem of the L , and hope that the offset will allow full turn radius of the L when the KXF clamps touch the frame stops on the L and clear the radiators , etc .. , there are a lot of variables that need to be accounted for , before busting into this venture , "if" its possible , its most likely going to require some sort of machine work and a lot of trial and error , heavy on the error part

you would also have to consider the overall length of the forks and deal with the axle offset , because "if" the KXF fork is longer , then you will have to limit internally the KXF forks , to get the balance front to rear correct , otherwise you will inherit all sorts of handling sorrows that could prove dangerous if not addressed properly , then you will need to make sure the offset of the lugs does not cause other handling issues , by either too much rake , or not enough , since most likely the frame where the head stay is , would most likely be a different angle than the KXF

So to somewhat answer your question , it "may" be able to be done , but i would figure that without major modifications , its not going to work real well and might be a lot of wasted effort , if handling or comfort is your goal , i would try re-valving the L forks , if strength and jumping ability is your goal , you would be better off getting a bike more suited to that type of riding that is already set up to do those things from the factory , as the L has its purpose and that is primarily street and light duty use , and the KXF is definitely not valved for street use , and it would most likely beat you to death "if" you could find a way to make them fit properly if at all...............hope that gave you some answers you were looking for ....
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho