450X Front Forks
  • generatingpwr

by generatingpwr » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:15 pm

I just bought a 08 450x and have the same problem with my front forks.I have done a bit of riding on and off road with it.
    Before i bought the bike it sat for 3 years and had very few miles on it.My front end started feeling strange so I elevated the bike so that both wheels where off the ground and found that I have play in fron and rear suspension.
    Do the forks need a complete rebuild?or is there a way to get the play out via adjustment?
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:17 pm

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

It all depend on "what" has the play , are you referring to the fork lower and upper tubes move back and forth separate of each other when you pull on them or the tire ?? , which could indicate worn bushings inside the tubes , or are you referring to the entire front end having front to back and side to side movement ?? which would indicate head bearings , or the front wheel moves on the axle ??which would indicate wheel bearings

As for the rear , by simply lifting the rear wheel up and down while on the stand , you can physically see and feel if the swingarm bearings are worn , or linkage bearings , or shock bushings or wheel bearings
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • generatingpwr

by generatingpwr » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:11 am

Thank you for the reply ...Got it narrowed down to the wheel bearing as far as i can tell.
    After sitting for 3 years ,should I change the fork oil ?Would old fork oil cause handling issues?And which weight of oil ?
    2008 crf450x NorCal
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:10 am

I would guess if it was ridden much at all i would change it anyway , fork oil gets dirty fast because of the seals exposure to the elements , as the dust seal does not stop fine dust nor heavy mud , so dirt does get in past both seals and contaminate the oil , as well as normal wear , you will get metal shavings from the "wear parts" , like the bushings , etc , , if you see heavy silver or brass shavings or discoloration in the oil your draining , it means its time to buy a bushing kit as well , if the bike sat that long i would also replace the seal's , since they do dry out over time ...for oil weight , i always recommend 5 wt for forks , the heavier weights (10 wt etc) work for heavier street bikes , but not so much for off-road
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • generatingpwr

by generatingpwr » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:55 am

:D Looks like I have some sort of "snow-ball"effect happening from it setting in storage.I have re-built the linkage and have the front wheel bearing kit from pivot works on the way.
    I am going to just go through front and rear,top and bottom.Check all bearings and change fork fluid and replace seals.etc
    Thank you very much for the insight!
    2008 crf450x NorCal
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:50 pm

No problem !! ;)

It is always good to go thru everything anyways , that way you know what is what and can ride with confidence that everything is oiled , greased , and working as it should , makes for a better ride physically and mentally ....
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho