Stiffest fork and rear springs?
  • kott0n

Stiffest fork and rear springs?

by kott0n » Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:05 pm

I see Racetech has 6.6kg rears and .52kg fronts.

Anyone know of stiffer ones?

Thank you

EDIT: You might need to know... 2006 CRF250r with CR500 power.
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:58 pm

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

Do you weight like 300 lbs or something ??? , the engine in the frame does not make that much of a difference , and the 500 would most likely be slightly lighter , or about the same weight as the 250F engine , the different spring rates are for Rider Weight and Skill level , not bike weight (bike weight has some effect , but the stock springs should hold the engine swap just fine)

I am a B 210 lbs guy , and i use 0.52 forks and 5.8 shock springs and do just fine , i could drop to a 0.49/0.48 forks and 5.6 shock spring and still be fine
    02 CRF450R
    06 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • kott0n

by kott0n » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:20 pm

Yeah clocking in at 315 currently. Used to be into bikes, had a 2007 CR250 brand new but been on 4 wheelers the last several years. Getting back on a bike.

Yeah the 500 is actually lighter, you are right.

That being said, yeah I need probably the heaviest springs.

EDIT: I will be doing woods riding with trips to sand a few times a year.
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:49 pm

Yea you are going to be hard pressed to find anything much more than maybe 5.4 and 6.6 or 6.8 , you could get them custom wound , but there are only a few places that do it , but they can make bike springs custom sized , but its going to be a bit spendy , as i have a friend that had it done (he is 6'6" and weighed about 290 at the time , he is now down to about 265 and uses 5.2/6.6 , this is for a KTM though , so different size springs diameter)

Like i said , you might have to settle for what is available , and maybe have the valving done so its stiff in the initial part of the stroke , and that might work for you ....... you could also go with a stiffer Pressure Spring along with the 0.52 , i believe you can get them as high as 3.0 (stock would be about 1.9) , the Pressure Spring goes in the chamber , its the little spring in the Fork Cap Assembly , but that will add to the rate of the outer spring and might work for you
    02 CRF450R
    06 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • kott0n

by kott0n » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:22 pm

Yeah the stiffest I can find seems to be 6.8 kg from these guys: http://www.diversespring.com/

No idea the quality etc etc. Might be better getting a 6.4/5/6 from Racetech or the likes.

Planning on adjusting current springs/clickers as much as possible and ripping some logging roads. Before I do any trail riding though I would get the heavier springs.

Thanks for the response.
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:06 am

Just check your sag numbers (front and rear sag) , they will tell you where you need to be , also , for "trail" riding the spring rate is not going to be as critical as it would if you were on a MX track and jumping,etc , so take that into consideration as well , the main thing is you want to keep the bike in the upper part of the stroke as much as possible , this will keep the ride plusher than in the lower part of the stroke

As far as Diverse Springs goes , i have seen them advertise plenty on eBay , i have not seen any complaints as to the quality , and their prices seem to be competitive and even lower than the "name brands" , i have used Race Tech , Factory Connection and Ebach for springs on my bikes and the one thing i know you may need to watch is the actual spring length , some spring brands are slightly longer or shorter than other brands , so you need to take that into consideration ,because the spring length will also determine your free sag numbers so ask each seller/manufacturer , what the "exact" length of the spring is , then compare , and choose the longest of them , this will keep pressure on the spring and force it to help keep the bike riding higher (preload), and most people overlook this point , Race Tech offers shims (basically real thick washers) , to adjust the preload numbers
    02 CRF450R
    06 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho