factory connection rider weight change
  • crf45

factory connection rider weight change

by crf45 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:45 am

I have an 09 crf 450r with kyb susp. I bought it used the previous owner had factory connection setup springs and valveing for a 250 lb rider. I need it set for a 160 lb rider. I have a set of stock springs (front and rear)is there anything I can do with the valveing (cant afford to send them out)also can anyone tell the stock oil capacities front and rear?
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:24 pm

Your going to need to ride it first to see if it gives you any issues , was the other rider your skill level or better , or lower skill level , that will make a difference in how the valving is set up , springs are set for weight , valving is set for rider preference and terrain mostly ridden on (MX ,SX , Off-Road ,Endurocross , etc and skill level)

There are many variables , so you really need to ride it with no other changes except the springs and see how it feels and what it does that you do or dont like , then make changes from there starting with clickers , then oil levels , then and only then would you start changing the valving , do 1 adjustment at a time and run thru the same sections to get consistency in testing

10 riders can ride the same setup (excluding springs) and all say it does something good or bad in different areas from what the other riders interpretation was , so riding is your only true way of knowing what it needs if you follow what i am saying

Then you can worry about valving , but start with springs and different sag settings, then go to clickers , then oil levels , in that order , and pay attention to each change , it may get better in chop but worse in corners , etc , etc , keep a log and when it does not get better after all has been tested , then start messing with the stacks (you can do that yourself if you trust your mechanical ability)

Here is the stock specs , hope this helps !;)

2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • crf45

by crf45 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:45 am

Thank you Jim Dirt, your reply was very helpful, I did as you suggested with good results, the susp. feels great the only concern now is a slight kick to the side on a jump take offs, I'm slowing down the rear rebound which seems to be helping. thanks again
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:49 am

Yes that should help as well as weighting the foot peg opposite of the kick direction , it could be that the jump face is rutted and its kicking the bike (i am guessing to the left) , so you would put your weight on the right peg and that will pull that side down which will right the bike and you will fly straighter , so putting your weight on the foot on the opposite side of the kick direction will hold the bike straighter , the same thing you do when your jumping with a cross wind
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • crf45

by crf45 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:46 pm

nice, good to know. I'll give it a try
    DarkCRF

by DarkCRF » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:59 pm

old topic, just let you know, a factory connection valving is always get a revalves free for live. Just pay for fresh oil
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:26 am

I believe that policy is only for the person that originally purchased that particular suspension job , i do not think FC will let the new owner of the bike get the "free" re-valve that was set up for someone else
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho