Fork spring stuck!!
  • macsfamily

Fork spring stuck!!

by macsfamily » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:24 pm

Servicing my forks. Completed first and trying to disassemble the second. The spring is stuck at the bottom and will not come out of the fork leg?? I have tried "hooking" it and pulling, no dice. Before getting agro and causing further damage, I am wonder if anyone has experienced this and what suggestions you have.

Thanks!
  • VetJunior

by VetJunior » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:50 pm

Would this be the left fork leg? The disc brake side?
  • macsfamily

by macsfamily » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:56 pm

VetJunior wrote:Would this be the left fork leg? The disc brake side?

It is the right side.
  • VetJunior

by VetJunior » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:25 pm

It must not be what I was thinking. Some folks accidentally mix the mounting bolts from the fork protector with the disk protector. They are different lengths and if mixed up they can dimple the slider tube and pin the spring inside the tube. That's what I have been told....might be completely wrong. Good luck with the removal of the spring,hope it all goes well.
    motosicko

by motosicko » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:48 pm

VetJunior wrote:It must not be what I was thinking. Some folks accidentally mix the mounting bolts from the fork protector with the disk protector. They are different lengths and if mixed up they can dimple the slider tube and pin the spring inside the tube. That's what I have been told....might be completely wrong. Good luck with the removal of the spring,hope it all goes well.

99% sure that's what has happened. It can and will happen if the longer disc guard bolt has been put in the fork protector position. It can happen on either fork leg.
    "There are old racers
    and there are bold racers,
    but there are no old, bold racers who don't walk funny."
  • macsfamily

by macsfamily » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:32 am

You got it! I mixed up the rotor / fork guard bolts......

Disassembled the lower leg and cleaned it up. All is good now. Thanks for the replies!
  • VetJunior

by VetJunior » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:49 pm

Glad it worked out.
    Codeman00

by Codeman00 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:04 pm

As a mechanical engineer myself, Honda needs to be called out on that one :roll: ...horrible design. And even worse that the problem hasn't been fixed by them as the model years changed.