2004 CRF150F
  • crfnewb

2004 CRF150F

by crfnewb » Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:08 am

i am new to the sport of dirt bike riding and i am from nebraska. i bought my bike used from my teacher at school and so far the only thing done to it are the fatbars. any suggestions for the best exhaust to put on the bike and any other upgrades that would be a good idea.
  • Asmith

by Asmith » Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:24 am

Welcome to the site crfnewb!!! Congrats on the new bike. There's a ton of stuff you can do to the CRF 150.

Exhausts are a good mod. White Bros, Pro Circuit, Big Gun and BBR are the most popular.

There's a bunch of guys on here with 150's. Send a Private Message to some of them and I'm sure they'll give you the hookup!

Brennan82, dk54red, mustang, willflyforfood are just some of the guys that have killer 150's.
  • topgun

by topgun » Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:35 pm

I note a lot of new riders always want to "mod" their bikes from day 1

I suggest ( and this will save you some money ) that you set up the bike properly stock standard - suspension, tune the motor - jetting etc, set up the bars and levers to suit your height/riding position etc etc

Then ride it for a while ... only when you can "outride" the bike should you then consider modifications to improve either handling or lack of power etc.

Today's bikes typically are set up pretty well with good handling and power and its only a really good rider can fully utilise and have the ability to exceed a stock bike's capabilities.

Just my 2 cents worth ( less tax of course )
  • topgun

by topgun » Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:39 pm

I note a lot of new riders always want to "mod" their bikes from day 1

I suggest ( and this will save you some money ) that you set up the bike properly stock standard - suspension, tune the motor - jetting etc, set up the bars and levers to suit your height/riding position etc etc

Then ride it for a while ... only when you can "outride" the bike should you then consider modifications to improve either handling or lack of power etc.

Today's bikes typically are set up pretty well with good handling and power and its only a really good rider can fully utilise and have the ability to exceed a stock bike's capabilities.

Just my 2 cents worth ( less tax of course )
  • crfnewb

newb

by crfnewb » Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:58 pm

its not that i want to upgrade the power right away its just that i was curious as to what i could do to it if i want to later down the road, but your suggestions are always welcome because i appreciate what the better and more experienced riders tell me since i a am so new to the sport. i am going to school here in nebraska for motorcycle, atv, and personal watercraft technology, but to put it short mechanic work and i bought my bike off of my instructor who bought it new in 2004 and so far the only mods done to it are what he had added. the only things that he had done were the fat bars, and the new bbr rear spring and bbr springs in the front and the bbr skid plate. so far it has been a good bike for my first one and i hope that i can progress and maybe one of these days once i get better i will be able to get a bigger bike also.
  • topgun

by topgun » Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:52 pm

When I get a "new" or used bike the first thing I do is:

Put it up on a stand - both wheels off the ground

Start at one end and go right through every part on the bike.

Change all oils , fluids and filters - including fork oil - in the "old" days Japenese bikes came with fish oil in the forks ....

Change the petrol, drain the carby - take float bowl off and clean out

Clean air filter

Change spark plug

Lube chain - check sprockets

Take wheels off - check spokes, bearings, brake pads/shoes

Take tyres off - check tubes, check that the spokes aren't sticking up too far

Take seat and tank off - check wiring and bits and pieces under the tank - make sure they are secured and water proof - ie rubber seals in place etc

Run a spanner over every bolt you can get at ... loosen first then tighten to correct torque - replace any dodgy ones - rounded or damaged heads etc - I use stainless steel ones as replacements

Put it all back together - set up suspension - race sag etc

Tune motor - valve clearances, timing, jetting etc

What you now have is a well set up stock bike - you know whats what in terms of maintenance and that everything is as it should be. This will give you confidence to just ride the bike and not worry about it breaking down or parts falling off etc ..

After you have ridden it for a while you will get a feel for what can be improved - like power or suspension but as I said most riders will never be able to "outride" a stock bike.

I have been riding and racing dirt bikes for over 30 years and apart from improving suspension - springs/oil etc - have yet to be able to seriously outride a stock machine.
  • dk54red

by dk54red » Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:35 pm

^^^ I agree, if he's new it will take a while to out ride the motor, but all it takes to out ride the suspension is a 10'(long) jump landing on the flats even with the bbr springs. I could handle the table jumps landing on the down side, but there one little 2'-3' jump at the track that I ride and I would bottom almost every time. I do weight 180, but the suspension on the 150 is easy to surpass if you hit the right/wrong stuff.
  • nedirtbikr

by nedirtbikr » Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:32 pm

I agree with topgun. Check it out real good and set it up for you.

I bought an '04 150 for my son new. All we ever did to it was replace the air filter with a twin air, pull the snorkle from the airbox, remove the baffle at the end of the exhaust can, and rejet the bike (if you decide to pull the snorkle and baffle...be SURE to rejet or you may burn the engine up.) I am a big fan of Seal Savers ( www.sealsavers.com ) so we put a pair of those on. That was it. In all, it was about $75 worth of mods (pretty cheap.) The rejetting, snorkle and baffle removal will give extra snap to the bike when you're ready for it.

The bike ran like a top. He has since graduated to the 230. dk54red wrote a little something about the suspension and I agree. The suspension on the 150 is soft. The 150 (without significant mods) is NOT a track bike. It is meant for the woods and fun rides. As a noob, this bike should be great for you.

Hope it works out. BTW, we are in Omaha and ride pretty regularly at River Valley OHV park. If you're ever looking to come riding up there, send me a PM and maybe we can meet up for some riding. River Valley is pretty tame, but it has some really good trails for a noob to get some experience with.

Good luck and welcome!
    2006 CRF450R (For Sale)
    A-47753 (Jumpin' dirt and clouds!)
    Proud member of the Hamster Nation!
  • RedneckDriver

by RedneckDriver » Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:05 pm

ahh man... stuff i always wanted to put on my 150F b4 i sold it was:
    -white bros R4 exaust system (i think jets and air filter are included, and if not...)
    -k&n hi-flow air filter
    -power-up jet kit
    - and a BBR rev box
    never had the time or money for the parts, ended up selling the bike the other day