4-Stroke Pre-Mix!
    HondaRacer213

4-Stroke Pre-Mix!

by HondaRacer213 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:38 pm

The title may be misleading, I dont mean a pre-mixed 4-stroke, I mean that taking about 1 capful of 2-stroke oil per one gallon of straight gas, and running it, gives a slight power boost, and it lubes the valves better than just straight gas.

Don't get me wrong, DO NOT USE PRE-MIX IN YOUR THUMPER! Just take one capful of 2-stroke oil for one gallon of gas, and mix it, then fill your tank. I repeat, DO NOT USE PRE-MIX!
  • beau

by beau » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:30 am

I am not saying you are wrong.
    but what will you give me if I test your theory on a dyno and there is no increase in power?

---

to make things fair, what shall I give you if you are right?
    zak13

by zak13 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:35 am

beau wrote:I am not saying you are wrong.
    but what will you give me if I test your theory on a dyno and there is no increase in power?

---

to make things fair, what shall I give you if you are right?

your life! :shock:
    if anything it keeps the parts lubricated so they dont wear as fast.
    but if it gives you a power boost your jetting may be a hair rich.
    sellin my xr100

by 124 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:49 am

You kids need to seriously quit sniffing glue. It's an epidemic and affects the thought patterns of today's youth. :?

Seriously, capful of 2-stroke oil. Injector type or pre-mix? :roll: Doesn't matter. These aren't diesel engines. They will not benefit from 2-stroke oil in the combustion process. If anything, it'll gum up working parts of the valvetrain, lean out your jetting, and richen your air/fuel ratio.

Anyone reading this should NOT add oil to your fuel.
    70' Honda CT70 (Trail 70; Gold)
    16' KX450
    16' KX85
    12' YZ125
    HondaRacer213

by HondaRacer213 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:35 pm

124 wrote:You kids need to seriously quit sniffing glue. It's an epidemic and affects the thought patterns of today's youth. :?

Seriously, capful of 2-stroke oil. Injector type or pre-mix? :roll: Doesn't matter. These aren't diesel engines. They will not benefit from 2-stroke oil in the combustion process. If anything, it'll gum up working parts of the valvetrain, lean out your jetting, and richen your air/fuel ratio.

Anyone reading this should NOT add oil to your fuel.

Not to start an arguement or get on your bad side, I have been using a two cap-fulls of oil (1.8 gallon tank) in my gas for almost 3 years on my 250R, and I've had no problems with it gumming up at all. Again, I'm just offering my opinion on the tip and/or trick.
    If this is deemed unsafe, please, feel free to delete the thread.
    JAWS

by JAWS » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:45 pm

I believe the main thing you achieve by putting oil in the gas for a 4 stroke engine is more pollution. Will it hurt the engine, probably not. Will it help the engine or power, probably not. This is an old tale that goes way way back. I heard this when I was a kid! :shock:

In truth a properly engineered, jetted, and maintained 4 stroke derives nothing from the oil except for producing more smoke. That could interfere with proper combustion if too much is used. I guess it *could* prevent your pipe from rusting out due to a coating of oil??

This kind of thinking goes hand in hand with things like using acetone in your gas to get better mileage. There are those that swear by this, but the empirical evidence indicates that it simply does no good. Heck, even the Mythbusters did an episode on that and could not gain anything out of their practical tests.

Joe
    '05 CRF450X,McClain suspension, Cycra Probends, Pastrana FMX Pro Tapers,BRP Sub mount & Scotts stabilizer.See carb sticky for more
  • Trogdor

by Trogdor » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:20 pm

Holy Cr@p I can't be that old, you guys never heard of "Top Cylinder Oil" before?? The most common/popular brand is Marvel Mystery Oil

http://www.marvelmysteryoil.com/index.php/site/about/

Now having said this, I won't say using it is good or bad, but using oil in 4 stroke gas is nothing new.
  • beau

by beau » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:52 pm

Zak13 wrote:]if anything it keeps the parts lubricated so they dont wear as fast.

And what parts might those be?
    HondaRacer213

by HondaRacer213 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:50 pm

beau wrote:
    Zak13 wrote:]if anything it keeps the parts lubricated so they dont wear as fast.

The valves. It lubes them, so if one gets a lil' sticky, the oil will allow it to drive better.
    JAWS

by JAWS » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:13 pm

Trogdor wrote:Holy Cr@p I can't be that old, you guys never heard of "Top Cylinder Oil" before?? The most common/popular brand is Marvel Mystery Oil

Now having said this, I won't say using it is good or bad, but using oil in 4 stroke gas is nothing new.

Yeah, I remember that stuff. Back in the '40's engines and the oils that were available weren't nearly as good as they are today. The fuels had very high lead contents. Sludge was a common term then. Back then, you needed anything that would get the job done. Marvel Mystery Oil was more of a solvent than a lubricant. None of that is needed today. The engines, oils, ands even fuels are so many times more better designed and formulated that any benefit that the "mystery" oil had way back when isn't of any value today.
    Joe
    '05 CRF450X,McClain suspension, Cycra Probends, Pastrana FMX Pro Tapers,BRP Sub mount & Scotts stabilizer.See carb sticky for more
    zooomer

by zooomer » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:26 am

JAWS wrote:
    Trogdor wrote:Holy Cr@p I can't be that old, you guys never heard of "Top Cylinder Oil" before?? The most common/popular brand is Marvel Mystery Oil

Yeah, I remember that stuff. Back in the '40's engines and the oils that were available weren't nearly as good as they are today. The fuels had very high lead contents. Sludge was a common term then. Back then, you needed anything that would get the job done. Marvel Mystery Oil was more of a solvent than a lubricant. None of that is needed today. The engines, oils, ands even fuels are so many times more better designed and formulated that any benefit that the "mystery" oil had way back when isn't of any value today.
    Joe

Back when motors had babbit bearings? LOL
    09 DRZ400s
    99 TRX400EX

Riding Jackass style!
    "To make Christ the center of attention and lead those who will follow to the throne room through Worship"

• dobent4@yahoo.com

by dobent4@yahoo.com » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:45 am

Holy Cr@p I can't be that old, you guys never heard of "Top Cylinder Oil" before?? The most common/popular brand is Marvel Mystery Oil

I'm glad I;m not the only one old enough to think of that ! :lol: :lol: :lol:

by 124 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:13 am

Again, besides adding excess carbon deposits to your combustion chamber, your jetting and air/fuel ratio is affected by leaning out your jetting. I didn't mean to sound offensive, sorry HondaRacer. It's the same story with the Diesel guys adding 2-stroke oil to fuel. Will it hurt, maybe not. Will it help, probably not. Thanks though...sometimes these things need to be discussed.
    70' Honda CT70 (Trail 70; Gold)
    16' KX450
    16' KX85
    12' YZ125
    zak13

by zak13 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:59 pm

beau wrote:

i was thinking maybe valves and top of pistons and muffler bearings :lol:
    sellin my xr100
    JAWS

by JAWS » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:48 pm

LOL! Zak, you crack me up! I am going out right now to lube the top of my piston and muffler bearings! :)
    Joe