Changing the pilot jet
  • Leardriver

Changing the pilot jet

by Leardriver » Wed May 02, 2018 10:34 am

You tried to change it, and can't get the new one to stay in the slot, get the screw driver on it, and not have it fall out into the mechanical abyss.
    Lay the bike on it's right side!! Maybe not with a full tank of gas on the living room carpet.
    Now you can see into the hole for alignment, and gravity doesn't fight you.
  • Aussiecrf230

Re: Changing the pilot jet

by Aussiecrf230 » Thu May 03, 2018 12:59 am

Good suggestion Leardriver. Easier than trying to rotate the carby.
    Jim would probably bring his bikes out of their bed rooms and lay them on the couch to do it.
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

It starts,it runs,it gets to where all CRFs can get to without the valve or valve plate dramas
    JimDirt

Re: Changing the pilot jet

by JimDirt » Tue May 29, 2018 6:47 pm

LOL at Ray ... :lol: =DD

Actually (yea i am late to the party) :-~ , what i do is take a old overflow hose , or a car engine vacuum hose and cut a1 to 2 inch piece , and slide it over a long skinny screwdriver (one with the tip the same width as the pilot jet) , then i put the pilot jet on the screwdriver tip , and slide the vacuum hose over the head of the jet just far enough to hold the jet in place , it is now unable to fall off the screwdriver no matter the angle you insert it into the carb , you then screw in the jet (i just loosen the clamps and twist the carb as far as it will go so i have a straight shot at installing the jet , the bike is still on the lift stand sitting level) , as you screw in the pilot jet the vacuum hose will not be able to go into the small space the jet occupies , so as your screwing the jet in , its slowly sliding out of the hose , till the hose is free , and you just tighten the jet and your done ..... ;)
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho