Shifting in boots while standing on pegs
  • live4fire81

Shifting in boots while standing on pegs

by live4fire81 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:35 am

What is the proper position for your feet and some technique for shifting while standing on the pegs. I have to sit to shift.
    lightflight

Re: Shifting in boots while standing on pegs

by lightflight » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:11 am

live4fire81 wrote:What is the proper position for your feet and some technique for shifting while standing on the pegs. I have to sit to shift.

Do you have to sit to shift because you aren't comfortable standing up yet?

I Guess its hard for me to give you any advice because I think after a while you don't even have to think about shifting.

shifting down standing up is easy right.

the reason it is easier for you to shift siting down is because your foot is angled down making it easy to slip it under the lever if it isn't already. when you stand up your foot is more level so you have to get your foot under it. maybe remember to keep your knees bent slightly and overtime it will come to you when you get used to the position of the shift lever while standing up.
  • live4fire81

by live4fire81 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:28 am

What happens is when I am riding standing up, I ride on the balls of my feet. I am comfortable standing. I shift with the front part of the sole of the boot. I have to slide my foot forward so that the arch of my foot is then on the pegs to reach the shift lever. My boots grab the pegs so I have to completely lift my foot off the peg to move it? Does that sound like the correct transition? If so I guess it is just a matter of getting used to it. I just feel wobbly when I have to put all my weight on my right foot to move my left.
    lightflight

by lightflight » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:39 am

I personally Ride with the peg on the arch of my foot right before the heel of the boot to I don't need to move my foot much at all.

Riding on the balls of your feet can be a little hazardous in my opinion. it means you have to completely move your foot to use the back break and shift. not only that but if you land really hard off a jump, case a jump or over shoot a jump it can create some ankle or ligament damage as I've seen happen to some people who ride on the balls of their feet. :shock:

I would suggest a different foot position. :D
    bocephus450x

by bocephus450x » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:55 am

youre supposed to ride on the balls of your feet (think suspension) you just have to get used to moving your foot. I don't even think about it anymore
    There's no right way to eat a Rhesus
    lightflight

by lightflight » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:53 am

bocephus450x wrote:youre supposed to ride on the balls of your feet (think suspension) you just have to get used to moving your foot. I don't even think about it anymore

sorry i guess my answer was one sided. Riding on the balls of your feet is a good practice which will help out with absorbing more shock. but what I was trying to say was it shouldn't be the only position your feet are ever in otherwise you could find yourself getting hurt when jump large jumps incorrectly. So I agree get comfortable with moving your feet.
    djh65

by djh65 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:07 am

I picked up the hammerhead shifter, a bit longer than stock and moved it up a couple clicks. That really helped.
    David
    06 HD450X made in america.
    Faster and faster til the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death!!!!
  • live4fire81

by live4fire81 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:57 am

I have been practicing and have found that if I grip (pinch) the bike with my legs while shifting it is a lot more stable.
    bocephus450x

by bocephus450x » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:01 pm

didn't even think of that but oh yeah, you gotta do that :lol:
    There's no right way to eat a Rhesus
    Zachc12385

Re: Shifting in boots while standing on pegs

by Zachc12385 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:40 am

I always keep my foot under the the shifter ready to shift at any moment. I also keep one finger on the clutch and my other foot right above the rear break pedal. If i ever have to shift down i just pivot the front of my foot to the side with the back of my foot still on the peg and get my foot above the shifter to get ready to shift down. After a while it get more and more comfortable and its almost like riding while sitting down
    Zach
    2017 Crf250l
    Stock

"Just send it!"