Exhaust Pipe
  • Nickerz

Exhaust Pipe

by Nickerz » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:33 pm

Hello All,

Recently purchased a 2006 CRF450x. I unfortunately dropped the bike tonight while crossing a small bridge in first gear. Despite how soft it fell, it bent the exhaust pipe down a bit and kinked it.

I will post pictures tomorrow but is this something that could cause problems? It isn't kinked fully, I was able to ride it back home (~20 minute drive) without any issues or it sounding differently.

Also, what is my cheapest/best option in terms of replacement? I don't need anything aside from a replacement, no upgrades or anything fancy.

Thanks
  • Nickerz

Re: Exhaust Pipe

by Nickerz » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:19 pm

Just read through the thread about filling the header with water and placing it in the freezer. I will try that ASAP.

Question still stands, with the kink is it still ok to ride? Air flow can still get through, only maybe 1/2" is restricted from the kink.
  • Aussiecrf230

by Aussiecrf230 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:38 pm

Obviously it will make some diffence but more so at top end. A picture would help. A lot of bikes get damaged exhausts so depends how well you can fix it. The fact you already rode it without problems pretty much answers your question about whether it will cause problems.The freezing works well but might take several attempts to get most of it out. Obviously thaw between attempts. Good luck
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

It starts,it runs,it gets to where all CRFs can get to without the valve or valve plate dramas
  • Nickerz

by Nickerz » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:51 am

Here are the pictures. I tried to get a good one of the kink that is in the back. The biggest thing is it was bent out of shape more so than dented too bad.

Performance aside, can this cause any issues in the long run? Or am I still safe to ride? I don't go full throttle or rarely get into 5th due to where I ride.

Last edited by Nickerz on Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
  • Aussiecrf230

by Aussiecrf230 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:43 am

I can't see your photos, but as long as it is not leaking as a result you should be fine. I mean at the existing joints on head and pipe/ muffler. If you had a leak where it was damaged then you would have to fix it. The only other issue is to make sure no studs or mounts are under extra stress due to the bend.
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

It starts,it runs,it gets to where all CRFs can get to without the valve or valve plate dramas
  • Nickerz

by Nickerz » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:13 am

I can't see your photos, but as long as it is not leaking as a result you should be fine. I mean at the existing joints on head and pipe/ muffler. If you had a leak where it was damaged then you would have to fix it. The only other issue is to make sure no studs or mounts are under extra stress due to the bend.
    I just edited my post, hopefully the pictures work now.

The only thing touching now is the plastic guard which got melted a bit.