05 Kick Starting Issue
  • Raygun4

05 Kick Starting Issue

by Raygun4 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:39 pm

Hello all. Been a long time since i have posted here. I am trying to sort out some issues with my 05 CRF450X. I am original owner. Its been parked for a couple years because wife gave me the go ahead to buy a 2017 KTM 300XC. At the time I was having some starting issues with my 450x that I was just putting up with. It needs fixed so can enjoy my 450X again.

Issues include: Doesnt like to start with the E button in neutral, cold. Pretty sure need to check valves and the decomp to help aleviate this part. So i usually had to kickstart when its cold. When kick starting, sometimes it feels as if I'm turning over the starter motor too, like its stuck engaged. Then after kicking over a few times its back to normal and the starter motor isnt turning over with the kick. But since it takes lots of kicking when cold, the starter motor soon feels like its getting turned over again with the kick starter. Im sure this was a known issue years ago and honestly i dont remember the fix. Im assuming theres a one way bearing that isnt working properly. Any help would be appreciated.
    05 450X
    17 KTM 300XC
    07 250x (sons)
    03 XR650L
    03 XR650L
    02 Yamaha TW200
    82 IT175
    JimDirt

Re: 05 Kick Starting Issue

by JimDirt » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:57 pm

E-Start may be the one way bearing , its possible that its hanging up , but "if" the valves are out of spec , then its going to be tough to start no matter if its kick or button anyway , so that might be part of your issue , so you do need to check the valve lash , also the Decompressor adjustment might be off as well , which is done during valve adjustment , i would also definitely look at the one way bearing as a possible cause , to confirm , maybe unbolt the starter motor but don't remove it , and just pull it back so the gear is not engaged , then try kicking it and see if you get the same results .... :-k 8-[
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • jazzy

by jazzy » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:22 am

Jimdirt, do you know what some of the symptoms of a bad oneway bearing would be?
    I'm trying to sort out my starter problem as well.I keep trying to fix it ,but nothing is working.
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:05 pm

Usually its a dragging or hanging starter , basically it causes a starter to struggles to turn , and goes very slowly , which because of a slow RPM , the engine won't readily fire , the engine needs some RPM to make it fire up properly , a 2 stroke you can gently coax into running with a easy kick , a 4 stroke needs some oomph behind it to actually get the engine enough up to speed to continue rotating all that mass

With a stuck bearing , the starter would almost always stay engaged and then cause the engine to not start , the engine would be dragging because the bearing is holding the engine RPM back by way of the starter dragging and engaged while not being used , and you would definitely hear it , as well as how your describing it feeling like the starter is trying to turn while your kick starting it , that is usually a good indication the one way bearing is basically stuck engaged/locked out , the one way bearing uses centrifugal force to engage , if it sticks , its engaged all the time or most of the time , with that extra load , the engine is going to struggle to , or simply will not start due to the inert starter holding the engine RPM back

With the dragging bearing , it would just turn the starter so slowly it just is not able to start , it would be like trying to grab onto the rear wheel with your hand while the bike is in gear on a stand , and spin the tire to start it , it would just clunk and cough and spit back thru the carb or pipe , because you could not get it going fast enough to continue revolving to start , but with a dragging bearing , it should disengage , so the engine should still fire readily with just the kick starter , but not with the button

Bad grounds and other issues like the Starter Relay , could also cause issues with dragging or slow turning starters , you need to eliminate each portion of the not starting symptoms , so make sure it has fire , then fuel , then air , then that the electrical system parts (button ,relay , etc.) are not a issue , then move on to the mechanical things , like the starter brushes being worn , wires or connectors , and the one way bearing , it will be one of those things , or a combination of some , but my first guess is the one way bearing based on your description of kick starting and how it feels , its probably accurate , that the starter is in fact turning while your kicking
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • jazzy

by jazzy » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:40 pm

Jimdirt, Thank you! man that's the best information I've come across yet. I will keep trying.