Paddle tires
  • jmwatters

Paddle tires

by jmwatters » Wed May 16, 2018 9:38 am

I have a Turbo kings tire for my 18 inch rim but i recently bought a 19 inch rim for the sand when i go mostly because it was a really good deal and i wanted 2 rims so it takes me 5 min to swap tires not an hour. I want to know what paddle tire i should buy for it i really like the turbo king but i can not find it on a 110/90-19 any suggestions?
    JimDirt

Re: Paddle tires

by JimDirt » Fri May 18, 2018 9:36 am

The main difference in paddle tires is the number of paddles they have and the shape of the cups , each being for use in specific types and depths of sand and weather its wet or dry sand , what i would do is find a tire that will suit your riding needs specifically and not worry so much about brand of tire or size , once you find the correct tire that would work best for your type or location of riding , it will designate the rim size as to weather 18" or 19" , if you prefer that particular brand , then look for the model/size that they make that will work best for your riding needs and get it , then the rim diameter to match

In a paddle , rim size is not much of a factor as far as tire flex , since most paddle carcasses are fairly stiff anyway , and they are not really designed for cornering , so rim size is more for availability of tires rather than any performance gain , it is not like in motocross or off-road where flex is a determining factor for cornering or worrying about pinch flats , with few exceptions , a 18" or 19" tires overall diameter is the same , the sidewall height is more for cornering and side flex/traction , neither of which will make any real difference in the sand , so if a 18" tire is more readily available it would be the best choice , same goes for 19" , as far as tire pattern/number of cups , that is more sand type selective and where you need to focus your search ....
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho