Crf450x Supermoto - Stator help!
  • SATX_Supermoto

Crf450x Supermoto - Stator help!

by SATX_Supermoto » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:52 pm

2007 Crf450x. I've had the bike in supermoto trim for 5yrs on the OEM stator. I was tired of the stock headlight and wanted something brighter for night riding. I finally gave in and ordered the Honda D/C CRF/X Squadron Pro LED Kit from Baja Designs that is 4900 lumens/40W. It was wired directly to the battery using a universal wiring harness and switch also purchased from Baja Designs. After installing the headlight and running it, it would quickly drain my battery completely. Disabling the electric start, tail light, speedo etc. Even trickle charging it between rides didn't help much.After asking around I was told that I had too many components connected to the battery, and that the OEM stator that pushes 40W wasn't enough to power everything. So I reluctantly purchased the stator rewind service ($175) from Baja Designs which is supposed to push 150W after it's done. Upon it's arrival they told me that they check the OHM's on the ignition side and it was really high. It's supposed to be between .19 and .20 and it was reading 1.20. They wanted to let me know that the ignition side of the stator was on it's last leg, and it wouldn't be worth it to invest the $175 stator rewind service into a stator that old. What they suggested was sending mine back to me and for me to buy a new OEM stator for them to rewind. So I'm torn on what todo. The stator set-up through Baja Designs will be $175 for the rewind $50 for the regulator/rectifier and $70-$190 on a replacement stator depending if I want aftermarket or OEM. That is a $300+ invested in just the stator let alone the cost of the light. I was debating cancelling my whole order and getting my $225 back and just purchasing the Trail Tech DC Electrical System Kit for $250. I am worried that the Trail Tech won't be enough to power my system because it's only rated at 90W. Any help would be appreciated guys!