HID for CRF450x
    stsmith5150

HID for CRF450x

by stsmith5150 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:19 am

Has anyone found a retrofit HID conversion kit for the CRF450x. I would dig having an HID light in the stock headlight housing.

ss
  • Asmith

by Asmith » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:27 am

Baja Designs makes one. $399 plus stator rewind and switch harness.

https://www.bajadesigns.com/NET/mainfra ... x?content=
    stsmith5150

by stsmith5150 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:23 am

Yeah I have seen that one but it is way over priced. I am talking about a kit that the bulb will pop into the existing headlight/numberplate.
    nowazzu

by nowazzu » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:56 am

There are cheap HID bulbs and Ballast kits all over E-bay for every type of bulb out there. I bought a kit for my Polaris Ranger and they haven't melted the plastic lenses although the 450X bulb is a bit closer to the plastic than on my Ranger.

I do know of several Quad owners who have replaced theirs with no problems at all. You will definitely want to rig up a relay.

$75 for a kit is a cheap experiment.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HID-KIT- ... enameZWDVW

Before everyone flames for the obvious cheapness of this, just remember that not everyone needs, or can afford a rock solid setup like the Baja Designs kit. Plus, if it does melt the lens, you can replace it on the cheap.
    -nowazzu-
    05' CRF450X
  • PhilM

by PhilM » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:14 pm

I tried a cheap hid setup like above and worked great. I would recommend a Trail tech racelight over the baja designs. I have used both and the trail tech's lighting works better in foul weather.

Either way, do yourself a favor, and rewind your stator for more DC output. As far as I know I think that all HID's require DC output not AC.
    stsmith5150

by stsmith5150 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:59 am

So what bulb is in the CRF450X? Also do you need to rewind stator if there is a battery. i believe the HID pulls less. When you say relay...are you saying that I need to install a switch and then wire that to the relay. No more light coming on when the bike is started, right?

ss
  • PhilM

by PhilM » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:47 pm

Not sure of the realy deal. The kit I used was a small ballast, H4 bulb. I had to rewind my stator for the 30watt DC output required for my kit. I upgraded to the 8" baja designs and my rewound stator would not keep the light going. The batery would die down and had a lot of stopping time to let the battery recharge. I bought a 35 watt trail tech 8" hid and never had that problem again. In Fact, I have a 55 watt stator on my RM and it powers that light just fine.

Honestly save some money and time and buy a good HID helmet light and you will never look back.
    crfsonly
    Owner

by crfsonly » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:41 pm

We're a Baja Designs and Trail Tech dealer so if you need any help with these lights email me at ken at crfsonly dot com.
  • dgidlof

by dgidlof » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:45 pm

I have a HID in my stock light. I bought a kit it from Baja about 8 years ago and have had it in several bikes.

While it does give you a brighter light, the output is not near as good as the same setup in the Baja light housing. I also run a set of Trail Tech helmet lights, also running off the bike.

You will need to rewire the light direct to the battery as the stock light runs on AC and HID needs DC. You will also need to rewind the lighting coil for higher output. Baja does a nice job and now provides an upgraded replacement wire harness with the rewind. The stock connectors can't handle the current the rewound stater puts out. I melted a couple of them before Baja announced they have found problem and then fixed it for free. Great guys to work with.
  • Trogdor

by Trogdor » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:16 am

You guys just need to man-up and get the new 70w KC HID pod light. Carbon fiber housing with a Lexan lens cover and 70w of brilliance!

http://www.kchilites.com/store/KC-POD-C137.aspx

The bar in off road lighting has just been raised by 40watts. So lets see; a long range and a wide angle, plus you'll need a custom mounting bracket, and rewinding, you could prolly put it together for around 25hundred bucks!!! And you guys thought you had bling with your billet parts!
  • 79CR125R

by 79CR125R » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:04 pm

Well I bought a 55w hid kit on E bay for 10 bucks and waited a month. The ballast provides the power so it draws from the battery. I used the tusk head light switch for high and low. I bought a 5 wire ignition switch for the 230f and have my kill switch and power on for the lighting. It works fine. I spent a day installing the tusk kit and headlight and have no issues. We mostly drank coffee and joked all day so can be done quickly. Just my 2 cents worth.
    :idea:
    Kyle450x

by Kyle450x » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:05 pm

Even running a 35W HID bulb in the stock housing will drain the battery after ~45-60 min depending on RPMs. You will need to re-wind your stock stator and run a DC regulator (oem is AC/DC).

I am running a 35W headlight bulb (H6M) in place of the stock headlight bulb, which just plugs and plays. I mounted the 35W ballast behind the number plate and ran a positive and negative to the battery (with inline fuse, and sealed switch of course).

DDM Tuning is a local HID retailer for mostly automotive products but they do have motorcycle bulbs as well. So far, 2 solid years and countless hours of running with the light and no issues. At first it would cut out a lot but I figured out that was due to dropping voltage from the stator not putting out enough to re-charge the battery.

It's a great fog light, and works well for me in the dunes, and desert... but you can 'run out of light' going fast in a flat high speed desert. Decent projection, but I have been looking at the baja designs squadron kit...

Side note: it is awesome having the light wired to a switch! Loading bikes at night, I just turn my bike's light on and we will load up the bikes then mine last. Also good to have incase your bike is acting up and not running you can signal people with the switch light. Food for thought
    8)
  • DaxxRuckus

Re: HID for CRF450x

by DaxxRuckus » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:50 pm

Just throwing an option out there - here is what I did on my 05 X. Kept the stock headlight because I didn't want to spend the money on an expensive HID, and I added a 12" LED light bar above the number plate. Just used some light bar mounting brackets and mounted it to the bar clamps using longer bolts. For now just wired it straight to the battery and stuck the on/off switch up under the number plate. Eventually will have my brother wind me a custom stator for higher output. Right now it works fine with the stock stator and just turning the light on when I need it.

I can post more details if anyone is interested. Total cost ~$40.
    You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.