Best transmission oil
  • Charecter1

Best transmission oil

by Charecter1 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:12 pm

I know there’s a million posts on here about what’s the best transmission oil to use on the crf450’s but I couldn’t find a good answer as to which one works the best.

im going to glamis in 2 weeks which I know puts a lot more stress on the transmission and engine so I want to use the best possible transmission oil. I’m running rotella on the engine side.

I’m hearing mixed reviews on running ATF type F on the Tranny side. Would ATF work for me? Or should I spend more and get the Honda red bottle? I tried the rotella on the Tranny side in glamis before and I didn’t really like it. I just want to make sure I get my 08 crf450r in the best possible condition for the trip.
  • Back2-2

Re: Best transmission oil

by Back2-2 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:41 am

You ask a question that has no right answer - just opinions and you know everyone has one...
    I will give you mine but I am sure others here will not agree.
    In my trials bike which abuses a clutch worse than any other clutch in motorcycling I use ATF Type F. That is what the Team Gas Gas reps recommend. In my Honda 450 I run Castrol 20/50 GTX - 1 full quart. I my CR's & YZ's I run the same 20/50 GTX for sand duning. My street bikes run Delo 10/40 for the extra zinc content which is the actual high lubricant of oils. ATV's all run Castrol GTX 20/50 and they are only sand dune machines. As an engineer I learned from our chemist that synthetic oil really does not do much in auto/ cycle uses other than give longevity to the oil and due to the cooler oils temps auto / cycle run in really does not come into effect.
    Most cycle people change their oils so often there is little to no protection benefit. Not saying I don't use synthetic oil in my cars but in bikes I really do not see the need. I have never in 48 years of riding had an oil related clutch or transmission or engine failure.
    So take that for what it's worth - One note is whatever you decide to run, use a full quart in your 450. The extra oil capacity is very important to the 450's under hard use.

Have fun at the dunes & keep your eyes always open for SXS's & rails.
    Neil
    Black Hills of SD
    Life without Motorcycles would just be boring, really boring
    Honda 450X. Yamaha Tracer GT900. HD Fat Boy. Triumph Bonneville. Yamaha Majesty 400. Yamaha Grizzly. Yamaha Wolverine. Yamaha TW200
  • Charecter1

by Charecter1 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:40 am

You ask a question that has no right answer - just opinions and you know everyone has one...
    I will give you mine but I am sure others here will not agree.
    In my trials bike which abuses a clutch worse than any other clutch in motorcycling I use ATF Type F. That is what the Team Gas Gas reps recommend. In my Honda 450 I run Castrol 20/50 GTX - 1 full quart. I my CR's & YZ's I run the same 20/50 GTX for sand duning. My street bikes run Delo 10/40 for the extra zinc content which is the actual high lubricant of oils. ATV's all run Castrol GTX 20/50 and they are only sand dune machines. As an engineer I learned from our chemist that synthetic oil really does not do much in auto/ cycle uses other than give longevity to the oil and due to the cooler oils temps auto / cycle run in really does not come into effect.
    Most cycle people change their oils so often there is little to no protection benefit. Not saying I don't use synthetic oil in my cars but in bikes I really do not see the need. I have never in 48 years of riding had an oil related clutch or transmission or engine failure.
    So take that for what it's worth - One note is whatever you decide to run, use a full quart in your 450. The extra oil capacity is very important to the 450's under hard use.

Have fun at the dunes & keep your eyes always open for SXS's & rails.
    Thank you for the advice, I’ll try the gtx 20/50 and make make sure to bring an extra bottle with me to the dunes
  • Back2-2

by Back2-2 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:03 am

To tell you the truth the ATF type F makes the most sense. It is designed for exactly what you want in a transmission oil. It is incredible robust and designed to work with metals and fibers at extreme temperatures.
    Why I do not use it in all my bikes > ? I don't know - I just use it in the Gas Gas trials bike because that is what they told me to use and it works great.

- Why the extra bottle?
    Neil
    Black Hills of SD
    Honda 450X. Yamaha Tracer GT900. HD Fat Boy. Triumph Bonneville. Yamaha Majesty 400. Yamaha Grizzly. Yamaha Wolverine. Yamaha TW200
  • Charecter1

by Charecter1 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:53 am

To tell you the truth the ATF type F makes the most sense. It is designed for exactly what you want in a transmission oil. It is incredible robust and designed to work with metals and fibers at extreme temperatures.
    Why I do not use it in all my bikes > ? I don't know - I just use it in the Gas Gas trials bike because that is what they told me to use and it works great.

- Why the extra bottle?
    Could I run the Walmart brand ATF type F supertech?
    Well I’m told that you’re supposed to change the oils every 4-6 hours and I’m going to glamis for 4 days which will be about 18 hours of riding total so I figure I might have to do an oil change while there.
  • Back2-2

by Back2-2 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:43 pm

Really trying to stir up the hornets aren't you.... :lol:

Well that's entirely up to you. I use the Supertech products quite often and found them to all be very good. You can buy name brand that has all the advertising or you can buy Walmarts Supertech that is made by one of them high dollar advertised products. :shock:

Ok - I get the extra quart and figured that was the reason. I wouldn't change it on a four day trip but again that's up to you. The sand dunes is not a very conducive place to be changing oil. Whatever you are working on can and will end up in the sand. That's a given. I doubt you want to haul a quart of used oil home either and you certainly don't want to drain it into the sand dunes we fight so hard to keep open. [-X

Have fun & safe riding. That is just about to coolest place on the planet to ride - in fact it is the coolest place ! 8)
    Neil
    Black Hills of SD
  • Charecter1

by Charecter1 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:25 pm

Really trying to stir up the hornets aren't you.... :lol:

Well that's entirely up to you. I use the Supertech products quite often and found them to all be very good. You can buy name brand that has all the advertising or you can buy Walmarts Supertech that is made by one of them high dollar advertised products. :shock:

Ok - I get the extra quart and figured that was the reason. I wouldn't change it on a four day trip but again that's up to you. The sand dunes is not a very conducive place to be changing oil. Whatever you are working on can and will end up in the sand. That's a given. I doubt you want to haul a quart of used oil home either and you certainly don't want to drain it into the sand dunes we fight so hard to keep open. [-X

Have fun & safe riding. That is just about to coolest place on the planet to ride - in fact it is the coolest place ! 8)
    I most likely won’t change it out there, I never do :lol: hank you for the advice, I can’t wait to be out there. It’ll be my first ride out there on a 450, last time I was there I had an rm250. I think I’m going to try the gtx that you said you run just to be on the safe side for my first trip out there. =DD
  • Leardriver

by Leardriver » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:13 pm

It would be hard to make the wrong choice. These clutches aren't finicky.
    The people at Rekluse clutch recommend Rotella dino oil, the cheap stuff, in their clutches.