(!!HELP!!) 2005 CRF 450R
  • Skyevodka

(!!HELP!!) 2005 CRF 450R

by Skyevodka » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:20 am

Hello and good day,

I recently picked up a 2005 Honda CRF 450 R dirtbike. Seller said the bottom end was most likely the issue for it not running. Not a problem for me as I could buy one of eBay for a fair price and rebuild it. He had the top end rebuilt as preventative maintenance and installed an engine hour after that and it only has 48 hours of riding after that.

Last year he was out riding and the bike died on him. He kicked it over and ran for about 5 minutes and died again after that. So he though it was over heating and let it cool down for a goo half hour at least. He kick it over again and it fired up and about 15 seconds or so later it died. (No clunking or other various engine failure noises). After that he was not able to kick it over at all.

Forward to today (Nov 6th 2018), the engine is currently disassembled and trying to find the root cause of the failure. When my buddy and I drained the oil we found a slight hint of coolant in it, plus when we split the bottom end open there was a fair bit of metal chunks at the bottom. However we cant see anything wrong on the gears/transmission and all the bearings seem to be in good working order. The crank and the piston work as intended as well and do not have any rough patches when we did the stroke. The piston and the piston chamber have very slight wear from the metal chunks, but it is just surface damage and easily fixable.

Before we took everything apart (engine out) everything turned and looked in good operational order. So my buddy and I are stumped as to what could be wrong. The seller also gave me a maintenance manual as well and from the pictures the parts all seem to look good.

If anyone as any ideas where to look/what typically goes in the bottom end of this bike that would be great.

Sorry for the long post, will provide pictures if necessary.

Regards,

Skyevodka :D
  • Back2-2

Re: (!!HELP!!) 2005 CRF 450R

by Back2-2 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:50 pm

Hello, that's a tough thing to try and help you with. If you found chunks or pieces they had to come from somewhere. I would only suggest to just sit back and think of any and everything that could have produced those pieces of debris. One thing to dod is try and determine if the pieces are stainless steel, iron or aluminum. That will narrow down what it could or could not be from.
    They had to come from someplace. Without pictures there is no way of giving you points of where to look.

Keep looking and analyzing.
    Neil
    Black Hills of SD
    Life without Motorcycles would just be boring, really boring
    Honda 450X. Yamaha Tracer GT900. HD Fat Boy. Triumph Bonneville. Yamaha Majesty 400. Yamaha Grizzly. Yamaha Wolverine. Yamaha TW200
  • Skyevodka

Re: (!!HELP!!) 2005 CRF 450R

by Skyevodka » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:11 am

That is a very good idea. Thanks for the info :) will definitely double and triple check everything. When I can I will post pictures of parts and hopefully can find the issue. Thanks again :)
  • benniejag

HELP 2005 CRF 450R

by benniejag » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:50 am

I want to build a green lane/enduro bike based on a CRF250R but want it to have the same gearing as a CRF250X, I know you can fit an X bottom end to an R top end, this works really well I did it to a 450, but is there anyway you can achieve this by changing the gears in the R gearbox? Thanks in advance