2016 CRF250R Noisy head???
  • Jacobfaulky

2016 CRF250R Noisy head???

by Jacobfaulky » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:21 am

Hi everyone,

I’m brand new to this forum and in fact brand new to owning a Honda. I recently purchased a 2016 Crf250r second hand. I was told when buying the bike that it has a loud top end due to it having an after market cam. I know little to nothing about bike mechanics other than being able to do an oil change so I’m hoping you may be able to be lead in the right direction. I’m looking to do an oil and filter change this weekend and will inspect the oil. The previous owner also installed a new hour meter with 2 hours showing and told me he had the head inspected and a full service so decided to install a new hour meter.

Any tips would be appreciated as I don’t know exactly what I’m listening for?

Thanks
    Jake
    JimDirt

Re: 2016 CRF250R Noisy head???

by JimDirt » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:59 am

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

It all depends on what the prior owner actually did or had done as far as "head inspected" and "full Service" goes , as that leaves a lot of guesswork as to what was actually checked , or replaced , or even inspected , if a cam is noisy , it would most likely mean the valves are too loose , which would mean they need adjusting to the correct OEM specs , if they just "looked things over" then i would guess nothing was replaced in the valvetrain , which would include the Timing Chain , which is what i would suspect is the "noise" your hearing , as usually when the chain gets worn it stretches and will slap around , on a aluminum head and cylinder it will echo and actually be quite loud , so what your most likely hearing is a timing chain that needs replacement , not a "aftermarket" cam noise , as it does not matter who makes the cam , weather its aftermarket or OEM , they are all adjusted to the same spec , so regardless of the brand of cam , it should not be "noisy"

Not sure with your limited mechanical capabilities , that you would be willing to take on a timing chain replacement or have a shop do it ... you can do it if you buy a Factory Honda Service Manual and follow the steps exactly , unless you do not trust your mechanical capabilities and do not want to buy a flywheel puller , as that is really the only "specialty" tool you would need to replace the chain , if you run into any issues , someone here can usually help you thru it ;)
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Jacobfaulky

by Jacobfaulky » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:55 pm

Thanks for taking your time to respond to me Jim :D

I have decided d to take my bike into my local mechanics tomorrow to have a full service and check out the noise for me. I got a really good deal on the bike so I am prepared to spend some money making sure it’s going to last me.

I’ll keep you updated,
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:29 pm

No problem , if you decide to do anything yourself and get stuck , just ask , that is what this place is for .....looking forward to hearing what they find wrong .... hopefully its not expensive and you can get back to riding it soon .... ;)
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho