2005 CRF450 cam chain tensioner plug/bolt
  • bhkeith

by bhkeith » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:56 am

Hi all,

First post here. Recently bought a CRF450 with a freshly rebuilt engine from a friend. Upon initial run in the stock auto cam chain tensioner plug/bolt has worked free and been ran upto half revs for 45 mins. I had done a few heat cycles before hand and never noticed the bolt missing, any oil leaking or odd noises. What damage could I have done if the cam chain was running slack? I don't think it has jumped any teeth as was running fine and oil loss was minimal and still well above the low mark after run in.

Is it possible to buy this plug/bolt on its own without a full auto cam chain tensioner? Is it just a standard bolt of a certain length that also seals oil in? Or does it push against a mechanism inside?

Sorry for my ignorance, thanks in advance for any replies.
  • bhkeith

Re: 2005 CRF450 cam chain tensioner plug/bolt

by bhkeith » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:45 pm

After some investigating and a trip to a local bike shop I found a parts diagram and it seems it's basically an m6x10mm long bolt with either an o-ring or copper washer. Hopefully I have not done any damage with the minutes it ran with the plug bolt out.
    JimDirt

Re: 2005 CRF450 cam chain tensioner plug/bolt

by JimDirt » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:03 pm

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

And sorry for the late reply...... :(
    If only the outer bolt was gone , but the slack adjuster inside was set , then you should be fine and should not have released any tension , the bolt itself is just flat and short , and there should be a O-Ring on the face of the tensioner , you can get the OEM bolt from any Honda dealer (they will most likely have to order it) , but a metric bolt about 1/4" long will work as long as it has a shoulder large enough to cover the hole and the O-Ring , or a flat washer would work if you can't find a bolt with a large enough shoulder , but won't seal as well , due to oil seeping thru the threads and in between the washer and bolt head , so , ideally the stock bolt would be best , but you can make any bolt work , but the bolt mainly seals the hole , the tensioner itself is set and locked from within the adjuster itself ;)
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Martjevok

by Martjevok » Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:47 am

hey guys, i bought a 1974 yamaha tx500 for a project and im loving it. However, i had to break apart the cam chain to do some work and i am looking for a new cam chain master link. I found a few NOS ones on ebay for 135 and a few for 50. Id rather not spend that much on a link. Does anyone know where I can get another link or steal one of something that will work? thanks