New bike difficult to start
  • mustangnut

New bike difficult to start

by mustangnut » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:15 pm

Just purchased a new, bone stock, 2018 CRF125FB "big wheel" for my son, and good lord this thing is cold natured! It was 56 degrees this morning and it wouldn't start without full choke. After many minutes barely idling it still wouldn't run without full choke. Because it was barely idling, I increased the idle speed a bit. Still wouldn't run without full choke though. Do I need to adjust the pilot screw? This thing need a jet kit from the factory? What gives???
    Apologies if this is in the wrong forum. The CRF125 forum is dead.
  • Aussiecrf230

Re: New bike difficult to start

by Aussiecrf230 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:20 pm

Did you buy the bike brand new from a dealer?
    Any fuel screws that needed adjustment should have been done as part of the presale delivery. It may well be it needs to be out a bit more or possible bigger idle jet due to the temperature. Of course the reverse may be true once it has warmed up again. I would give the dealer a ring in the first instance an explain the problem.
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

It starts,it runs,it gets to where all CRFs can get to without the valve or valve plate dramas
  • mustangnut

by mustangnut » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:53 am

Thanks for the response. Yes, I purchased from my local Honda dealership. I am going to call this week. It's 74 degrees today and he rode it for half an hour on half choke. Flip the choke off and it dies. Something is definitely wrong.
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:21 pm

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

Would it have sat at the dealer for a few months on the showroom floor ??? , if so , its highly possible that they left old gas in it and the Pilot Jet is clogged , causing a extreme lean condition , at 70 degrees it should run within 10-30 seconds without the choke after running with the choke on for that time , then run fine with it off , and be able to idle easily with the idle low , actually at 40 degrees it should run that way , the most you should have to choke it is 1 minute max , even in real cold temps , provided it is jetted properly for the elevation its at (Dealer should have done that) , it has a 20mm carb , so the pilot jet is going to be small , so anything can easily clog it , especially build up from old Ethanol gas

If they are willing (they should be) , ask them to do a service/clean-up on the carb because you feel the carb was clogged when you bought it , and make sure to tell them its been doing this since you got it home , that should get them to cover it , they should not charge you for this , as it should have been taken in back and checked over thoroughly before you took it home once you made the purchase , it should fire right up when finished ....They need to make this right ....
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho