2002 crf450r hanging idle
  • mx235

2002 crf450r hanging idle

by mx235 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:06 pm

Hi, I've had my bike since it was new. I never had any trouble with it until now. It had been sitting for a few years so I clean the carb before riding. Since then the bike won't idle and when decelerating it pops. I've check the carb again with no luck. I thought there was an air leak after the carb but nothing was found.

I disconnected the hot start cable. I didnt notice any differnce wether i pulled on the cable or tried pushing it in. It moves freely as does the throttle.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sorry if this is a repeat of another post but I couldn't find the answer.
    JimDirt

Re: 2002 crf450r hanging idle

by JimDirt » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:17 pm

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

If you cleaned the carb with Carb Cleaner without removing the rubber seal on the slide plate and the O-Ring on the Fuel Screw , chances are they may be damaged and causing a lean condition , i would also just remove the Pilot Jet look at the number on it and go to the bike shop and get a new one , they are only about $6 , and if you don't have the correct jet cleaning tool , spraying it out is all but useless , that is where i would start , also when checking the O-Ring in the fuel screw location , the order should be from holding the fuel screw in your hand with the smallest end pointing up , is a Spring , a Washer , a O-Ring , so the O-Ring would go in the hole first , make sure its not torn or jammed in the hole , if there is any damage , replace it with the correct O-Ring from Honda , then turn the fuel screw all the way in but just let it touch , don't crank it down , then turn it out (counter clockwise) about 1-3/4 turns and go from there , fire it up and give it some gas and let of quickly , if the bike backfires thru the muffler , turn it out 1/4 turn at a time till it stops backfiring , also make sure you have FRESH gas in it , drain ALL the old gas from the tank , these bikes don't like gas any older than about 2-3 months old ....

That should get you started , but i would guess its the pilot jet that is still clogged , so just replace it first , and see how it runs , then go from there with the other items i suggested

Hope that helped some ;)
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho