carb leaking, my first bike
  • QuietMike

carb leaking, my first bike

by QuietMike » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:01 pm

Hey, I have a '03 150, and it leaks fuel from the carb overflow, sometimes when its running, sometimes when its off, sometimes it seems to shoot out of there.
    I've had the carb apart several times, ive cleaned the float needle seat, it had varnish/gum in it (like 4 stripes, mirroring the shape of the needle, the bike had been sitting for a long time), the float needle looks ok,.

if i leave the bowl off, and hook up fuel it comes out the float seat like normal, and if i then raise the float by hand to the top, it stops.
    but when its all together again it still leaks everywhere - so the float must be bad right?
  • Back2-2

Re: carb leaking, my first bike

by Back2-2 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:22 am

Check the float height and confirm the spec. One thing to also check is that the float is not cracked and filling up with fuel.
    I suspect that either the float height is off and or the float needle is leaking fuel past the seat. If there are rings around the rubber tip it's shot.
    Hope that helps.
    Neil
    Black Hills of SD
    Life without Motorcycles would just be boring, really boring
    Honda 450X. Yamaha Tracer GT900. HD Fat Boy. Triumph Bonneville. Yamaha Majesty 400. Yamaha Grizzly. Yamaha Wolverine. Yamaha TW200
  • Leardriver

Re: carb leaking, my first bike

by Leardriver » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:00 am

You are probably pushing harder with your hand to raise the float than actual pressure would be placed on it by fuel. So, it shuts off in your hands, not by fuel pressure.
    Replace the needle and seat. It's practically free. No need to spend so much time trying to make a failed part work.

Part number 16011-KCK-910 Valve set, float. About $21.