CRF450R -05 Clutch problem.
  • Mpersson88

CRF450R -05 Clutch problem.

by Mpersson88 » Sat May 20, 2017 12:00 pm

Hey dudes/dudettes!

I bought myself this bike last week and i've been loving it!
    I've only been driving it for about 3 hours but i've been starting to get quite annoyed about this clutch problem it's got.
    I'm swedish so i'll have to excuse my bad english trying to explain this problem.

So, i'm engaging the clutch, putting it into gear and away i want to go, only the bike seems to have a hard time figuring out if it should stay engaged or disengaged, i don't know the right word for the position of the clutch but i'll call it the "pull position", for when the bike should ease away.
    The "pull position" ain't there, i can feel it for like half a second, then it's just like if i dump the clutch even though i'm still holding it in the "pull position", then the clutch engages again, and dump again...
    This problem quickly translates into either awkward fucking stalling or wheelie take-offs.

According to the former owner, the clutch got some new oil just before i picked it up (4 hours of driving time ago).
    I'm not so sure about that, so i've ordered some new oil to put into it, but i wanted to check with you guys too if there is anyone who've had this problem and know how to fix it?

Thanks a bunch!
    JimDirt

Re: CRF450R -05 Clutch problem.

by JimDirt » Sun May 21, 2017 10:19 pm

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

Have you by chance looked at the clutch itself ?? , by removing the cover and pulling the springs and plate off to see the hub and basket ?? , if the basket is notched it will grab kind of like your explaining , also check to see if the basket wobbles , it could be wore out and wobbly

This is what a notched basket looks like , those notches make the plates get stuck then move to the next notch , so it will grab then release , the surface with the notches should be smooth
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Mpersson88

by Mpersson88 » Mon May 22, 2017 9:56 am

Thank you!

I was planning to have a look when my maintenance kit arrives. And thank you for the picture! If mine would look like that, i would not have known that it would be a problem if i saw it :P
  • Aussiecrf230

by Aussiecrf230 » Mon May 22, 2017 11:47 pm

If it is only slightly grooved you can carefully file the ridges flat. Once maybe twice. If it looks like the picture it is time for a new clutch which leaves you with a few options depending on how much you want to spend.
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

It starts,it runs,it gets to where all CRFs can get to without the valve or valve plate dramas