softsand whoops
    05crf150f

softsand whoops

by 05crf150f » Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:48 pm

im having trouble going through softsand whoops and other soft sand areas what do i do to keep from crashing?? where i ride in ocotilla wells it is becoming mostly soft sand with oddly spaced whoops and plants.

thanx

jeff 14
    '05 CRF150F
    baja designs lights
    check out my Pics
  • EWP Zoul

by EWP Zoul » Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:07 pm

sand riding is a beast in its own. For riding on sand you have to keep the power on as sand will slow you down real fast, You have to keep the weight over the back tire as you front tire will knife into the sand and send you over the bars. For me I like to use the stand/croutching position. I am standing on the pegs with my weight over the rear of the bike, Standing so your legs can soak up the bumps and over the rear to keep the front of the bike lite.
    EWP Zoul
    2004 CRF 450R #19
    Works skid plate
    1990 YZ250

If it ain't broke.....
    You are not riding it hard enough!!
    05crf150f

by 05crf150f » Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:54 pm

thanx
    '05 CRF150F
    baja designs lights
    check out my Pics
    dlpmx

by dlpmx » Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:20 am

Whoops? oh yeah I love whoops. Stand bent knees, elbows up, Butt over the rear fender, Let the bike rock under you. Don't fight the bike just let it rock . Keep the power on. And last the faster you go the smoother it gets.

Dale
    All mods listed in the Garage
    <-----
    SSG_TOM

by SSG_TOM » Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:11 pm

Iused to hate riding thru whoops. Now I kind of look for them. I ride mostly in Ocotillo wells. I know they are out there. Like everyone else has said. Just keep your weight back, give it gas and the most important thing to remember is be committed. Never go thru the whoops half hearted. If you are going to hit them. Give it all, or you are going to regret it in ther end....crashing. Good luck.

The committed part comes from many articles I have read from RC to K-dub. They always say. Be committed in the whoops. It has worked for me.
    CRF250X (Boyesen quickshot APC, Fastway case guard, FMF Q2, guards, Maier hand guards)
    CRF50F sons
    Sportrax 400EX wifes (Pro taper S-E bars, pro armor nerf bars
    TRX250EX daughters
    200 Phoenix daughters
    90 Predator daughters
    Aspired

by Aspired » Wed May 24, 2006 9:41 pm

Get good at high speed woops of any kind, this is my favorite place to make multiple passes after getting yet another crappy start. :lol:

My favorite sand ones are at Millville, MN but when the pros come they make me look like a moron - but I try to watch and learn. Watch the A riders at your local tracks- note body positions and listen to there bikes.

Some whoop you can actually double or triple through faster but usually just racken em all is the best for really close ones.

If there is a groove cut in all the jumps like you see in the Supercross races use it - it is just faster.
  • sandman

by sandman » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:45 pm

i just have to say if they arent really big wavey whoops, the faster i go the better it feels.
  • gj2slick

by gj2slick » Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:47 pm

In my offroad experience with whoops I was taught years back to have the power in its upper midrange,
    not pegged with your weight back and drag the rear brake,this will keep the rear end from swapping and the bike strait,but if the rear decides to kick out then pegg it(thats why you always want to keep spare power on tap).It took alot of practice but the brakes can actaully help you go faster in certain situations.

SLICK...
  • muzza the kiwi

by muzza the kiwi » Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:57 pm

Hi dude i agree with the boy,s .I,ll put my 5cent,s worth
    in check your suspension set up as well for sand i tend to stiffen up on compression(harder)slow rebound down
    (harder) it work,s for me give it a try it may make a difference.Good luck.
    JAWS

by JAWS » Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:07 pm

All of the above and make sure your sag is set correctly. A dampener will also help out in the sand.

Joe
    '05 CRF450X,McClain suspension, Cycra Probends, Pastrana FMX Pro Tapers,BRP Sub mount & Scotts stabilizer.See carb sticky for more
  • ANYTHNGFAST

by ANYTHNGFAST » Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:47 am

Everyone gave really good points, but don't forget to squeeze the bike with your boots and your knees for control.
  • WOJIN

by WOJIN » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:08 am

i learned the easy way, the entrance road from the parking lot to the dunes is a mile(or longer) strip of uphill sand whoops. you learn really fast that going slow in sand is really hard and takes a ton of energy.after the first trip through, i knew i had to do something different. after a stop for gas and water, we headed back to the entrance and the was not line at the DNR(dept of natural resources) check station. i ,being the "slower" rider, was at the the back of the pack and i knew they would take off and leave me if i didn't keep up. engines rev, clutches are dumped....second....third... just lean back and hold on i tell my self(ready for a crash). seconds later i realize how smooth it is going i'm flying through the road and all but passing my friends who all speed up since i am staying with them. wha took 15-20 min the first time took 4 -5 and i was a ton less wore out, although my legs were shaking and my hart was racing, i tore the whoops up.my riding hasnt been the same since, but i think it changed for the better.
    2007 450R
    gal8x

by gal8x » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:41 pm

• WOJIN

by WOJIN » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:03 pm

2007 450R