Wheelies....
  • tlabatte

Wheelies....

by tlabatte » Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:52 pm

Want to get good on wheelies. I currently have an XR250 but in the process of moving to a 250X. That will help me, I think as the XR is only responsive to wheelies in 1st gear or 2nd on an incline.

Anyway, what is the best way to practice? Up hill?, Flat? Standing?, Sitting?, High speed, Slow speed? Any tips most appreciated.

Any tips on how to use the front brake to put the back wheel in the air would be cool too. Frankly, I am a little scared to do this!!
    crfsonly
    Owner

by crfsonly » Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:04 am

tlabatte...practice on a slight but noticable incline. this does two things for you. first, it gets you closer to the 'tipping angle' before your front wheel even leaves the ground. second, it has the natural effect of slowing you down.

wear protective gear, elbow and knee guards, helmet, gloves, riding pants, boots, chest protector (with back protector), kidney belt that covers your lower back.

learn to keep your right foot over the rear brake and tap it as needed if you begin to over rotate.

lastly, practice, practice, practice.

ken
  • tlabatte

by tlabatte » Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:18 pm

Thanks. I have never even considered the foot Brake.
  • JTred

by JTred » Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:11 pm

This is how I've been practicing my wheelies, with some success. I just got back from about 2 hours of practicing wheelies and this is what I've concluded. In like 2nd or 3rd gear get right into the meat of the power, let off the gas a little and push down on the bars, as soon as the forks are no longer compressing, maybe a millisecond before whack open the throttle and pull back. I've also found that when you pull back, the straighter you keep your legs, the easier it is to get it up high and keep it going.
    Stock CRF 230F
  • EWP Zoul

by EWP Zoul » Sun Aug 07, 2005 4:13 pm

I have a 2004 crf450r i use for woods racing. I am trying to learn how to keep the front end on the ground. good luck with the wheel stands..
    EWP Zoul
    2004 CRF 450R #19
    Works skid plate
    1990 YZ250

If it ain't broke.....
    You are not riding it hard enough!!
    DaJumper

by DaJumper » Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:17 pm

if you are good at all you can ride a wheelie in any gear, any where, just practice and you'll get better. for me i start in first and ride them all the way through fifth. and thats only on a crf150. and yea it is really hard for me to even think about havin the front tire on the ground.

Crf150-STOLEN
    crf100-STOLEN
    DR350-STOLEN
  • crf100rider21

by crf100rider21 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:10 pm

how do you go all the way to 5th in a whelly i can go from 1st to 3rd but does a 150 really have the 5th gear power
    Ben

Honda crf230
    big gun pipe
    Power up kit
    pro taper bars
    protaper bark busters

Mazda b2300
    tinted windows
    custom sound system
    flo tec with dauls commin out the back
  • crf450x

by crf450x » Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:39 pm

well its not always about the power u just have to preload the shocks and pull up and twist the throttle @ the right time i have a 450x and i can wheelie any gear anytime i want and i can hold the wheelie for almost ever lol u just have to practice alot and if ya stand up u have more controll and besure to hit hte back brake if u think your are goin to far back
    She says If I go ridin one more time shes gonna leave me..Im guna miss her.

Live to ride, Ride to live
  • slomotobug

by slomotobug » Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:04 pm

I flip the clutch to get the front up for a wheelie, a trick my buddy swore on, and he does the best wheelies I've ever seen, you can get the front up in any gear at any speed doing this, no "whacking" the throttle, using the clutch flip lets you keep the throttle at a steady spot, easier to control once it's up. I could never do any good wheelies before I was tought this method, use this and like Ken said, start on a slight uphill incline, easier to get use to the balance point without the front end so high. Oh, and make sure you lean way back, I used to always try to hold it up w/just the power alone and stayed forward on the bike, found out I was wrong, now I sit so far back I'm almost on the rear fender, and COVER the rear brake.
  • crf450x

by crf450x » Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:13 pm

here are some videos i made

http://okadventure.ca/jpowheelie.htm

5th gear wheelies and then check out this video there are some crashes and wheelies..

http://okadventure.ca/Videos/wheeliesandcrashes.wmv
    She says If I go ridin one more time shes gonna leave me..Im guna miss her.

Live to ride, Ride to live
  • crf100rider21

by crf100rider21 » Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:10 am

if i knew how to put my home videos up i would but i don't know how
    on the vide me and one of my friends r doin wheely's for like 300 yards
    from 1st gear to 4th gear and some cercal wheely's
    Ben

Honda crf230
    big gun pipe
    Power up kit
    pro taper bars
    protaper bark busters

Mazda b2300
    tinted windows
    custom sound system
    flo tec with dauls commin out the back
  • smitty

by smitty » Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:30 pm

im on a crf-450r right now and i havent even really thought of trying to wheelie until this bike, should i try the whole hill climb thing or what?
    '03 CRF-450R - Moose skid plate, Scotts stainless filter, Acerbis Rally Handguards, PMB Sparky, Zipty, BF screen removed.
    IvanCRF

by IvanCRF » Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:42 pm

im having trouble doin wheelies on my 450x. i know the things got tons of power but i just cant do it. i stand up and push the front suspension in then pull the handle bars and gas it but it doesnt lift up. ive seen videos where people are sitting down on the x and they seem to do it with ease. :cry: what am i doing wrong?

im trying to do wheelies without the clutch...are you guys just dumping the clutch when you're riding or using the engines power??? id like to do power wheelies. ive tried and tried but it seems my balance is too stable :evil:
    CRF450X
    DaJumper

by DaJumper » Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:08 pm

YEA.. I JUST had to say this.... I BROKE MY 1/2 mile whellie record, my new record is 3/4 of a mile,,, LOL .. and ide have a video.. but my dumb@@@ freind on his Yamaha ttr125 kinda ran into a tree when he was filming

Crf150-STOLEN
    crf100-STOLEN
    DR350-STOLEN
  • crf100rider21

by crf100rider21 » Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:14 am

can u sho us the tape?
    Ben

Honda crf230
    big gun pipe
    Power up kit
    pro taper bars
    protaper bark busters