Standing sweepers
    Monkeywrench

Standing sweepers

by Monkeywrench » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:05 pm

During a standing sweeping type of corner, I understand it's proper to weight the outside peg. (say while going around a standing left-turn sweeper, you weight the right peg).

While this definitely seems to cause the bike to get better traction and allow you to take the sweeper faster, it also seems to make the bike want to stand up.
    Is it supposed to feel like a small war, or am I doing it wrong?

If weighing the outside peg for tration is proper weight distribution, then to keep it turning and not stand up straight, I have to counteract this by pressing the handlebars (and the bike) "down" in the direction I'm turning?? Is this right? :-k
    2006 450R
  • beau

by beau » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:31 pm

I will do my best to explain.... Forgive me if it is difficult for me to put into words.

When you weight a footpeg, the footpeg becomes a level arm. You are applying torque to the entire bike.
    In your example, you are correct that the bike is standing up.
    as the bike trys to stand up, it is finding more traction.

somewhere between your countersteering, your weighted pegs and your body position is a magical balance that will enable you to blast through that corner.

Personally, I have not mastered that turn but I am certainly trying!

Re: Standing sweepers

by 124 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:24 am

Monkeywrench wrote:During a standing sweeping type of corner, I understand it's proper to weight the outside peg. (say while going around a standing left-turn sweeper, you weight the right peg).

While this definitely seems to cause the bike to get better traction and allow you to take the sweeper faster, it also seems to make the bike want to stand up.
    Is it supposed to feel like a small war, or am I doing it wrong?

If weighing the outside peg for tration is proper weight distribution, then to keep it turning and not stand up straight, I have to counteract this by pressing the handlebars (and the bike) "down" in the direction I'm turning?? Is this right? :-k

Next time you are practicing exactly what you are describing, also consciously pinch the bike with your knees. You have it right. The more you feel comfortable, the more you'll be able to lean the bike over while still attacking the terrain. Oh yeah..stay on the gas!
    70' Honda CT70 (Trail 70; Gold)
    16' KX450
    16' KX85
    12' YZ125
    Monkeywrench

by Monkeywrench » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:51 pm

Ok thanks. Wasn't sure if I should try transferring some weight to the inside peg. It'd be easier to go fast thru standing sweepers that way but I know that's the wrong peg to weight. Plus with that, if the bike slips out from under you there's no recourse - all your weight is on the wrong foot and over ya go. :roll:
    2006 450R
  • beau

by beau » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:46 pm

I was talking about riding techniques with two of the fastest guys I know. They both agreed about one point:
    "Do what makes you the most comfortable, even if it bends or breaks a so-called rule."

It is great to understand the physics and technique (I read the books,I have taken two courses and am looking for a third) but, for me, the two things that help my riding the most are:
    1)Time in the saddle.
    and
    2)Riding with people that are better riders.
    Monkeywrench

by Monkeywrench » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:29 pm

Good point.
    I like chattin' it up with good riders too.
    Funny thing is, you can always tell you're talking to a good rider as soon as they say, "I'm not sure how I do that... I kind of just do it"... :-k Then they go take a lap and come back in and try to put in words what they just did. It helps. :P
    2006 450R