Corners
    mikey526

Corners

by mikey526 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:31 pm

I need some help on turns. At a race Halloween weekend, I finished top 5 every race, but my dad said I could have done better if I had better turns. I think I am afraid to slide out, and even though it feels like I am laying the bike over, I probably am barley leaning it at all. On tight 180 degree turns, I feel like I slow down wayyy to much. When I watch the guys winning, they make it look so easy. Whats the key? Get on the brakes early and start your drive halfway through the turn? I know I have the speed in me to run with the hotshoes, but my corner speed is really killing me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mike
    JAWS

by JAWS » Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:49 pm

Yeah, you got it. Elbows up, weight forward, braking done early, power on. Watch those guys and do what they do. Watch them in practice. Follow and try to keep their speed after observing a while. Practice, practice... breathe! :)
    Joe
    '05 CRF450X,McClain suspension, Cycra Probends, Pastrana FMX Pro Tapers,BRP Sub mount & Scotts stabilizer.See carb sticky for more
    mikey526

by mikey526 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:11 pm

Thanks JAWS. Sounds easy. I think I defiantly just need to practice more.

Any other suggestions?

Mike
  • sirmish

by sirmish » Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:12 pm

JAWS

by JAWS » Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:44 pm

mikey526 wrote:Thanks JAWS. Sounds easy. I think I defiantly just need to practice more.

Any other suggestions?

Mike

I was going to add the "weight on the outside peg" but the article above said that. Remember, speed is your friend. Hard to overcome the fear factor, but the faster you go the better. Power to the rear wheel makes the bike want to go where you want it to. Recently asked a well know rider about what was the biggest mistake that riders make. His answer was that they try to go too slow or tense up and scrub speed when they should wick it.
    Joe
    '05 CRF450X,McClain suspension, Cycra Probends, Pastrana FMX Pro Tapers,BRP Sub mount & Scotts stabilizer.See carb sticky for more
    woodsman

by woodsman » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:29 pm

I suggest that you get suited up with all the armor you can find and see just how far you can go before wiping out. And make sure to do a few good wipeouts so you get more comfortable with the bike. Until you crash a few times, you will fear crashing and never quite have the confidence needed to lay the bike over to the max.

P.S. Hand guards on the bike when about to attempt this or else you will probably break a few levers. And POST PICS!!!
    Currently, 05 450X
    Previously, KTM 790 Adv R, Cbr600rr, Crf450R, Crf250X
    krisrtch

by krisrtch » Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:37 am

I understand where you are coming from. I had the same problem seemed I was taking corners way to slow. But Last night went out for a rider at the track and once I got comfortable with how the track was I just kept pushing it and pushing and by the end of the night I was just about clearing every jump out there and blowing through all the corners. Like Jaws said keep those elbows up and let your clutch do most of the work. and before long you will be railing them corners like they are nothing. Keep it up you will get it.
    There is plenty of time to sleep when your dead....... Ride Hard!!!
    2012 CRF450R
    2010 CRF250R
    2006 CR85R
    2012 CRF50F
    mikey526

by mikey526 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:31 pm

I try those tips Sunday and tell you all how they work. 8)
    zak13

Re: Corners

by zak13 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:50 pm

mikey526 wrote:Get on the brakes late

fixed it :D

[/b]
    sellin my xr100
    mikey526

by mikey526 » Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:06 pm

After trying those tips for 2.5 hours, they seem to have worked pretty well. The track was very different from race conditions (no ruts to rail in the corners :( ) but was still in good shape so I got some good practice. I felt like I was flying, but my lap times weren't actually that much faster than my best times :x . Oh well, I guess since I didn't have anybody to race, it was cold, the track wasn't set up nice like on race day and I was getting tired all played a part in the not stellar lap times. The main thing I learned is that you have to keep power to the wheel, and weight the outside peg. Thanks for all the help guys!

Mike
    braap207

by braap207 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:18 am

:o Practice makes perfect my friend! Best thing to do during a practice session is put yourself in a position to be pushed, pull out in front of someone (carefully) make him work to pass you, or get on his tail. ;) There are so many different variables from a practice day to a race day, that sweet taste of adrenaline seconds before the gate drops, killing the first corner with 20-40 other guys and all making it around is just.... 8) What I like :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
    I don't ride dirty I ride canadian...
    05/06 NDMA MX Am State Champ

Your Mom goes to college is currently serving in Iraq
    HondaRacer213

by HondaRacer213 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:20 am

braap207 wrote::o Practice makes perfect my friend! Best thing to do during a practice session is put yourself in a position to be pushed, pull out in front of someone (carefully) make him work to pass you, or get on his tail. ;) There are so many different variables from a practice day to a race day, that sweet taste of adrenaline seconds before the gate drops, killing the first corner with 20-40 other guys and all making it around is just.... 8) What I like :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I second that. Whenever I go to practice, I make sure I have a better rider behind me, so I know that if I slow down, they will pass me. Now I'm not going dangerously fast, but fast enough to keep them behind me.

Also, I know it was said before, but it's really good to ask around with the other riders and find out what gear they are hitting the corners in, when/where/how hard they are breaking, etc. Remember, the stupidest question is the one never asked.

Good luck!