Frustrated jumper
  • DBKID

Frustrated jumper

by DBKID » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:13 pm

The past couple weeks I've been taking my 450 to a local track. On every jump my back end drops, its like I'm riding a wheelie through the air. It's frustrating because it makes a very uncomfortable landing. I've tried smooth throttle and leaning forward when I hit the jumps but that doesn't seem to work. Thanks for the help.
    BigD

by BigD » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:35 pm

I'm far from an expert, but I think the trick is to tap your back brake. I remember reading that on a post recently.
    Sounds difficult, but I've seen people do it and it seems to work.
    2006 CRF 250x
    JD Jet, GPR Stabilizer, Bafflectomy, no backfire screen, 13/51 gearing, oil slick, smoke screen, heat seeking missles, twin 50 cal.'s, etc...
  • Smash

by Smash » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:52 am

You want to come of the jump at a steady throttle and not let the bike rev up. Accelerating up the face of a jump or accelerating in the air will pull the nose of the bike up (or if the bike is starting to nose forward it will stop the nose from dropping). Hitting the rear brake will bring the nose down.

Try holding a steady speed as you hit the jump. Hold the throttle steady as you approach the jump and come of the jump. Once in the air let the throttle go back to idle.

Also, you want a neutral riding position. Not leaning to far forward or too far back. Your head should be over the handlebars as you take off from the launch ramp.

Pick one jump and practice, practice and practice. Jump it a couple hundred times trying the stuff above and you'll be on your way.

by 124 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:22 am

You've gotten some good advise, but I would like to say that the back brake is not your answer. This is a style thing that comes and goes. Technique in certain situations, but definitely not needed when learning.

Body positioning is your problem, either that or a completely whacked out rear shock (and or settings). Learn to lean more forward over the face of the jump. Keep playing with how far forward and how the bike reacts to it. Don't worry about riding the whole track as Smash indicated. Start with a jump and a turn, goon ride the rest of the way around, then hit that jump/turn over and over as best you can.
    70' Honda CT70 (Trail 70; Gold)
    16' KX450
    16' KX85
    12' YZ125
  • RedRider713

by RedRider713 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:06 am

Don't panic rev, sit in the neutral attack position, steady throttle. If you still do boner-air, tap the back brake and get off the trottle. Hope this helps.
    djh65

by djh65 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:40 am

Here is a great video compliments of PG. :)
    David
    http://www.crfsonly.com/forum/viewtopic ... ht=jumping
    06 HD450X made in america.
    Faster and faster til the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death!!!!
  • H230f

by H230f » Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:54 pm

BigD wrote:I'm far from an expert, but I think the trick is to tap your back brake. I remember reading that on a post recently.
    Sounds difficult, but I've seen people do it and it seems to work.

I am new at this and want to know how you guys keep control in the air when your bike flys sideways ? I just tried a small jump , almost nothing and when I get air the bike felt like it started to go sideways on me almost as if I was falling to the side, this kinda startled me. If you jump and get high in the air how do you control this so you don't end up crashing ?
  • HumboldtMX284

by HumboldtMX284 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:03 pm

you have to learn the skill on your own
  • Wallabee450X

by Wallabee450X » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:55 pm

Tap your rear brake, but pull the clutch it, or you'll kill the engine. You don't want to land with a dead engine.
  • Mark Mitchell 32

by Mark Mitchell 32 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:29 pm

All of these are good answers, but none of them are THE answer. Unfortunately, no one can tell you how to ride, that comes on your own. I use to race for a long time, then started riding trails. I went to a track recently, and felt like it was the first time I'd been on one. Just practice and do what feels comfortable. The biggest this is stay loose. The rear brake is something that takes practice and I wouldnt advise it if your just learning to jump. Like Smash and 124 said, one obstacle at a time.
  • Mark Mitchell 32

by Mark Mitchell 32 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:32 pm

H230f wrote:I am new at this and want to know how you guys keep control in the air when your bike flys sideways ? I just tried a small jump , almost nothing and when I get air the bike felt like it started to go sideways on me almost as if I was falling to the side, this kinda startled me. If you jump and get high in the air how do you control this so you don't end up crashing ?

Practice. Whipping is actually a natural motion when jumping. Just keep riding and getting comfortable with being in the air. The bike's natural motion is to come back straight. Keep your knees tight, bars forward, and looking where you want to go.
  • staffy24

by staffy24 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:17 am

i'm not sure what you mean buy back end dropping when your bike leaves the ground dose it drop strait away this indeed could be a shockie prob i am leaning to jump again and it helped to read about how its done confedence is a big part finding the right jump to learn on is important so you don't crash and get sceared off a clean run up a long ramp and a smooth lip to start with mid range gas lean forward standing with your head over the bars get to the required speed and hold it there keep it smooth after a few jumps you will find your feet and your own style will come out
    over 40 still ridin hard
    still learning
  • Suputin

by Suputin » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:24 pm

Pick one jump and practice, practice and practice. Jump it a couple hundred times trying the stuff above and you'll be on your way.

+1 It just takes practice. It is better to do one kind of jump a bunch of times till you get the hang of it. Every jump will be different and it just takes experience to figure out what you are doing.
  • CRF750

by CRF750 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:23 am

I use to do the same. It is your suspension. If you can't keep your frontend down, it will be one to two thing.
    1.Your rear shock rebound is too slow (adjust to Fast "F" in 2 click increments).
    2. Your front forks rebound is too "Fast" . Adjust it slower.

These adjustment are on the bottom of your Rear Shock and Forks.
    Honda has an awsome manual that will give you the Factory specs to start from.[/quote]