Does anyone know how to vacuumform?
    el baja

Does anyone know how to vacuumform?

by el baja » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:04 pm

Need help on the technics and tricks to vacuumforming. I'm trying to make a visor for a helmet and need help.Can someone tell me how i can do this rigth. here's some pictures of what i'm trying to do/
  • CRF916

by CRF916 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:15 pm

Lmfao :lol: :lol:
    0'6 CRF450XXX

• lakelaurashawn

by lakelaurashawn » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:27 pm

The seams - ridged areas that are running out from your negative are a result of not enough vacuum before cooling. You either need find a more adequate vacuum or remove the filter and reduce to hose nozzle to increase the suction. Also change the temperature of the media you are trying to form so you can remove all of the air before it cools.

Looks like you are using a picture frame with a plastic cover and maybe heating it in the oven since it is in your kitchen...

Not a very controlled area, but they are cheap so you can keep trying until you find the right heat/vacuum combination.

Lake
    '05 CRF450X
    el baja

by el baja » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:46 pm

yeah the temperture and oven setting i think is what's wrong,and not the vacuum going to keep on trying an see what works better. I think also that the thickness of the plastic was too thick it was a .125 thickness. So i'll try something thinner next time...thanks for the input.
    Just me

by Just me » Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:01 pm

Go to .087 plastic. Heat the sheet on some 2X6's on edge and when the center of the sheet just about hits the oven rack pull it out to form it.
    Pre heating the plug can help on a part like you are doing to keep the heat in a little longer. If your plug can take it, preheat it to 150-175F then heat the thermoplastic and form.
    You can also try using 2 shop vacs to form more quickly.

I used to do a lot of small parts for cars and model trains.
    (There used to be a toy called a Vac-U-form that I had as a kid in the 60's that started it all for me.)
    Here is a link to it...
    http://www.spookshows.com/toys/vacuform/vacuform.htm
    Use only Genuine Interocitor Parts.06 250X Flatlands skid and rad guards. Clarke 3.1 gal tank. Cycra Probends, Rekluse Pro, correct springs. Horn, mirror, brake/tail/license lights and a hanger for the plate. That is all.
  • Asmith

by Asmith » Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:16 pm

Hey Baja,

throw a PM to Bochephus450X.

Bo is the production manager for a large plastics manufacturer in Ontario.

I think he does mainly injection molding and maybe some rotational, but he would know the right plastics to use and correct temperatures, vacuum to pull etc. since he has a gaggle of engineers at his beck and call.

He would be the resident plastics expert on CRF'sONLY.