where are the women?
  • ev

where are the women?

by ev » Sun May 30, 2004 4:38 pm

another topic borrowed from DirtTrails

where are the women?

as I mentioned in that other forum:
    at home I ve seen women outrace men at ease
    and they were not riding wifes bikes, but GasGas EC250, Husaberg FE400 and KTM 620s
    OK admit there are not many women riding and only a few ride hard, but why supress the ones that try by putting them on sxxxy little bikes and tell them they were not capable of riding a real bike?
    are you guys afaid one of the girls might pass you one fine day?
    I am not! whoever is faster than I am may pass me, if it is a girl it might make me blush and then train harder
    crfsonly
    Owner

by crfsonly » Sun May 30, 2004 7:07 pm

the week before the glen helen nationals you'll find a lot of professional women motocrosses out practicing...many are very fast! not only them but many of the 'boy' racers are out practicing...and they too are very fast. i don't like people, regardless of gender or age, passing me but the only way i can stop this from happening is to be faster than they are...therein lies the problem! ;-)

crf's only
  • ev

by ev » Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:10 am

congrats, Ken, your project is growing fast
    but
    you have 100 members and as far as I can detect from the nick only one female
    aren't small CRF modells the typical 'wifes bike'?
    so where are the wifes and girlfriends?
    come on girls, be brave
    hondafan

by hondafan » Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:58 pm

WOMEN where are you?
    2008 crf 450

sold-2001 cr250, 2004 crf150, 2003 cr250, 1991 KX80, 2003 TT-R125

by Guest » Thu Sep 16, 2004 1:01 pm

Here's a woman among you... My name is Barbara and I have a 2003 CRF230F. I'm new to dirt biking this summer (though I had a CB250 about 20 years ago.) So far, I'm really enjoying the sport and I especially enjoy this forum. I learn something new every time I log on and find a new topic. By the way, I'm not a wife or a girlfriend; I got the 230 all on my own :)

Looking forward to being a part of this community and to watching it grow.

bpamp
    wade

welcome

by wade » Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:36 pm

welcome Barbara, it's nice to get a female perspective on things. Don't just be a guest, register. :twisted:
    Tree....what tree?
  • bpamp

by bpamp » Thu Sep 16, 2004 5:45 pm

[Wade wrote: Don't just be a guest, register.]

I registered a couple of days ago, Wade, but forgot to sign on when I posted earlier today. This is the only forum I've joined, by the way; seems like a nice group.

Barbara
    crfsonly
    Owner

by crfsonly » Thu Sep 16, 2004 5:49 pm

hi barbara...welcome to the group! it's great to have you 'among us'. what got you into this sport? how do you like your honda crf230f?

again...welcome!
  • ev

by ev » Thu Sep 16, 2004 6:28 pm

welcome Barbara
    in what corner of the country will we find you?
    what made you pick the 230 of all the bikes out there?
    hope to hear/see from you often :wink:
    ev
  • bpamp

by bpamp » Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:13 pm

Hi, all.

You asked how I like my 230 and what got me into dirt biking. Well, I like adventure and speed so I'm always looking for interesting things to try. I started thinking about dirt bikes last year when I saw a really cheap one at Pep Boys--of course, once you do your homework, you realize the cheapy you thought you could just try for fun is never going to do... I started researching sizes and engine types, etc., and had pretty much decided on a DR-Z125. I knew I wanted a bike for trails and hills, that I preferred a 4-stroke for quietness, etc., and that I thought I should get nothing bigger than a 125 for weight. Then I saw my '03 230. It was superclean and had only been ridden 4 or 5 hours. Plus it had tons of mods--BBR fork and shock upgrades, triple clamp, fatbar and barkbusters, and a 428 chain and sprockets. I knew enough to appreciate what a good deal this was. Also, it seemed to be better made than the Suzukis and Kawasakis I'd looked at.

My only hesitation was the weight. It doesn't feel heavy at all when I'm riding, but it's a lot to pick up after a wipeout. I'm getting used to it, though, and have been able to wrestle it up one way or another. Finding some folks to ride with would help in that department...

Speaking of that, I'm in Lafayette, Indiana. I'd love to find some riding partners in this neck of the woods. Anyone from Indiana?

I'm sure I'll post often. I just got the Honda service manual in the mail today and am determined to learn how to take good care of this machine, but I will probably have lots of questions as time goes on.

I just noticed I forgot to login so I'll appear as a guest again. Anyway, here's hoping we all get out on the trails this weekend...

Barbara
  • ev

by ev » Fri Sep 17, 2004 6:37 am

Hi Barb

you do not sound like a girly girl, more like a woman :idea:
    sorry Indiana is a bit to far away :cry:
    any local clubs?
    I just asked strangers on the trailhead parking lot, if they would mind taking me along ... most people do not like riding in the woods alone and will give you and your riding a try
    and there are lots of not-so-fast riders out there, do not hesitate
    or did you experience any 'attitude'?

your bike with all the mods sounds like a very nice toy
    pics?
    you sure would not want a DRZ125 :evil: OK, I am biased, allergic to yellow

one more thing, out of curiosity, do you wear any of that bink and purple gear they showed in the August issue of Dirt Rider?
    pics, please!!!

edit:
    ooops that was supposed to be pink n purple, of course
  • bpamp

by bpamp » Fri Sep 17, 2004 5:20 pm

Ev,

"you do not sound like a girly girl, more like a woman" I'll take that as a compliment, Ev.

Yes, there's a motorcycle club at Purdue, where I'm a grad student. They're mostly sportbikers but I may find a dirtrider lurking in the group. I've found folks very friendly where I ride (Badlands Offroad Park in Attica, Indiana) and I'm not unwilling to ask to tag along...

No pics yet; perhaps I'll bring the camera with me tomorrow and take a couple of snaps.

No, I don't wear the pink and purple stuff. Actually, I'm not that wild about the motocross fashion aesthetic. I wear black.

Barbara
  • ev

by ev » Fri Sep 17, 2004 7:13 pm

bpamp wrote:I'll take that as a compliment

:) it was meant to be one :wink:
    wade

barb

by wade » Sat Sep 18, 2004 6:28 am

Have fun this weekend and be careful, do take some pics. Remember the good guys always wear black. :twisted:
    Tree....what tree?
  • bpamp

by bpamp » Sun Sep 19, 2004 7:25 am

I posted this a new topic under the CRF230F section but will go ahead and put it here too.

After a fall (which I do a couple of times a week) and the engine dies or I turn it off, it sometimes takes a more few tries to get it started again. I'm usually slightly nervous that it won't start at all. Anyone else have the problem with the 230?

Barbara