Piston will not go into the cylinder
  • offroadcpa

Piston will not go into the cylinder

by offroadcpa » Sat May 09, 2015 2:17 pm

I am new but used to read though this forum several years back when I had a CRF 250. I recently bought my son a 2008 CRF70. I had to do some carb cleaning and work, adjust the valves, etc. after buying it. I noticed it smoked a little every time he rode, so I decided to drop in a new piston and rings.

Everything was going well until I went to put the cylinder back on. I get it past the first and second rings, then it starts to get tight at the 3rd ring set, but I compress it and it just barely gets in the cylinder. This is where I get stuck. The cylinder sleeve is just at the 3rd ring and it will not go on any further. I have tried to wiggle and gently use a screwdriver to ensure the 3rd ring is in, but it will not move. I double checked online that I had the right order on the rings (squiggly one on the bottom, the black one in the middle and the shiny one with the copper looking lining on top.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
  • hall_philip

by hall_philip » Sun May 31, 2015 6:06 pm

you should never use a screwdriver to try and push rings in. on the oil rings the swiggly one should be in the middle. you should hone the cylinder and check your clearances. make sure you scraper ring is installed in the right direction also.