CRF 50 No spark
  • CJ2898

CRF 50 No spark

by CJ2898 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:26 am

I have recently got a CRF50 for christmas (lucky me!) and its a project for me to learn about engines and bikes (im only 14) but i can get help if i need. Anyway I wired everything in last night and i just can't get a spark, i then found the earthing point on the bike, all done. I still cant get a spark. I checked with a multi-meter and the is about 0.5 v going throug the body but when i kick start it the voltage doesnt change and no spark!!!. Can anyone help please?
    Cheers
    Charlie
  • Dirtdiver73

by Dirtdiver73 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:55 am

First thing to rule out is the kill switch. My son's 2007 CRF 50 has an on/off switch right next to the throttle. The positive lead from the coil runs to this switch. The switch opens and closes the ignition (coil) circuit, hence turning the engine off. Make sure the circuit is closed (same as being in the on position) Does the bike have a keyed ignition switch?
    Rule of thumb:
    1. Always check make sure the key is in the "ON" position.
    2. Turn on/off switch to "ON"
    3. If still no spark it can be either the coil, stator, or CDI.
    4. Get a good maintenance manual with wiring schematics and use a highlighter to can trace the circuit.

You can check the resistance of the coil by measuring with an ohm meter between the terminal connections on the coil. You can also check the plug wire and spark plug boot.

Good luck!
    A bad day of riding beats a good day at work!