Just rode a 2019 450R
    JimDirt

Just rode a 2019 450R

by JimDirt » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:19 pm

I was at the track i always ride at , and this guy i have seen there a few times (he is 62 but really fast , like reeeeaaallly fast) was on his new 19 , so I was following him around the track for a few laps trying to keep up , I was on my 02 CRF450R , so anyways , after about 5 hard laps , he pulls off , so I do as well , and follow him back to his van

So we start talking , and then I asked him how he liked it , so he said , "Do you want to try it ??" , so I got off mine and said , Yes I do !! , so the first thing I notice is its really tall in the rear , that was a struggle for me but luckily I did not have to kick start it , so it was not really a issue , just getting my leg over the rear fender was , but that button sure was nice..... The next thing i notice is the throttle response , its like a lightswitch , and man is it sensitive to input , like barely move it and the bike revs .....so now I go out on the track

The first few corners , i was really squirrly , it feels like a 250F , it feels just like there is no weight compared to my 02 which is 10 lbs lighter but feels 20 lbs heavier , its very nimble and narrow feeling , I was struggling to keep the front end on the ground , as it rocketed forward , man this thing hauls butt ..... The suspension was surprisingly plush feeling , especially with my crappy wrist , I hardly felt any chop , but i did notice when coming into a corner hard , the rear skips a bit on the braking bumps , he warned me it would do this , so it was not a issue , and it was not out of control , just the rear needs a little work to keep the wheel on the ground coming into a corner with any speed where there is chop/braking bumps , he did have a aftermarket linkage dogbone , so not sure if it caused the issue , or that it did not fix the issue , but the bike just stayed planted once I was in the corners , this is on a dry sand track with some hardpack , it was impressive , but it was still a little twitchy , I think in most part that his bars were cut down , so it was really sensitive to pressure input , it was almost best to try not to turn in the corners , just lay it over and let it go , it went where it was pointed , and did it quickly , it pulls really hard , and right from nothing , its instant power everywhere in the throttle range , ....... Jumping was also different , the jumps i found were a lot different than with my 02 , the front felt so lite , that it was really hard to keep the front end from going high on the jumps , it just wanted to go up , so i had to lean forward a bit more on the jumps and be very careful with throttle input , it seems when jumping neutral on the bike it was front lite , it was so sensitive that you could easily change the attitude of the bike in the air ,by body position and throttle input , again , it did this very quickly , so I would prefer a heavier spring on the throttle so its not as easy to get whiskey throttle-ish with it , ....... After a few laps , i had to get off , as if I would have kept riding , I don't think he would have got his bike back , it was that impressive

Bottom line is , Honda got it right with this one , me at 59 and 195 lbs could easily ride it in stock form and be happy with it , the bike felt that good , like it was already set up for me , i have worked for 10 years on my 02 messing with suspension and tweaking on the bike , and it in no way , shape or form with the exception of the Honda logo on the engine ,does my 02 resemble this new bike , I really want one now , man was that thing a blast to ride , I am completely impressed with what Honda did with this 19 , the last newer gen i rode in comparison to this was a 09 , and this is hands down a complete different bike , and not just different , but better different , it is everything you could ever ask for in a MX bike , I want a R/X now really bad ...... I am completely blown away with this bike , all the magazines say its sketchy and out of control , if your not a pro its too much bike , it is a handful , a big handful , but i was less tired riding it than my own bike i that am used to and comfortable on

Funny thing is , when i got off it and back on my own bike and did a few laps , I was wondering where my old bike went and where this heavy slug I was riding came from , how impressive I thought I had felt on my 02 , was gone after riding that 19 , it was like i jumped on a XL600R , and it took me a couple laps to settle back into being comfortable on my antiquated bike , I could in no way , push mine as hard as I could the 19 .......now I am bummed .... I really want a 19 ....... =P~
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Aussiecrf230

Re: Just rode a 2019 450R

by Aussiecrf230 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:20 pm

Jim, you have been stung just like someone walking in to a dealership.
    They know if they can get your butt on the seat and go for a whirl around the carpark that you will sign the dotted line.

Maybe time to retire the 02!
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

It starts,it runs,it gets to where all CRFs can get to without the valve or valve plate dramas
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:11 pm

Yea , I was thinking about it , and if i traded in my R and X that would take some of the sting out of that $9,000+ price tag , but I still got $5,000 owing on my truck , not sure I want to add to that deficit right now .... That is really the only thing that kept me from heading to the dealer after i left the track .... if i only owed about $2,000 on my truck I would have headed right to the dealer .... so I need to give this some more thought , and be rational about it , I need to think with my 59 yr old body and not my 20 yr old mind , that , and my wallet keeps coughing from the dust and then there is the moths that fly out when I open it :mrgreen: , so that is a little concerning ..... 8-[

It is the most excited I have been about a bike in a long time though .....
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Aussiecrf230

by Aussiecrf230 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:54 am

I saw a nice restored PE175 for $3000 yesterday and so I know the excited feeling.
    Apparently I don't ride enough to bring another bike home.
    If I didn't have to go to work I would have more time to ride.
    Probably couldn't afford the fuel if I didn't go to work though.
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

It starts,it runs,it gets to where all CRFs can get to without the valve or valve plate dramas
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:24 am

Those were and still are great trail bikes , personally (though its not as old) I like the 98 Suzuki RMX250 , one of the best trail bikes I have ever ridden , been casually looking for one that is unmolested , that is harder to find with stock everything , one day I will find another at a decent price

And yea , my riding budget is just that , a budget , and a pretty slim one , luckily the track i ride is only 25 miles from me , so its not a major gas expense since my truck gets 21-23 mpg , so that makes the riding a bit more affordable , but its still limited to weekends/2 days a week
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Leardriver

by Leardriver » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:16 pm

My son has an '18 R with E start, and I agree, it is amazing.
    If any of you guys get a new X, I would like to borrow it for a couple of seasons and evaluate it. I will return it full of gas.
  • Aussiecrf230

by Aussiecrf230 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:59 pm

Hi Leardriver,
    How generous of you to do a long term ride report.

Jim,
    I liked the RMX as well and with RM bits they flew. Most mikunis they had on them are badly worn now and let down otherwise good bikes. Were plated in Oz for road use as were the PEs.
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

JimDirt

by JimDirt » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:36 pm

My son has an '18 R with E start, and I agree, it is amazing.
    If any of you guys get a new X, I would like to borrow it for a couple of seasons and evaluate it. I will return it full of gas.

LOL , That was what I was thinking when i rode that guys R , I figured if i did 1 more lap , he most likely was going to have to catch me before he got it back , I figured while he was running after me on the back side of the park I could be loading up and heading home ...... :mrgreen: ..... And though I like everything about the new X , only issue is , I track ride a lot , so that is why I figured the R/X would be a good or better fit for me as opposed to the R or the X , it has a little plusher suspension and and a kick stand and the larger tank for Off-Road , then when i want to jump on the track all I would need to do , is jump on the track , at the most do a few clicks on the compression clickers and i would be good ..... ;)

On another note , I am really struggling with this , I am going to talk to my bank and see what they think about this , and then decide whether to do it , or wait a bit till I get the truck paid down more , then maybe do it next season and get a leftover 19 at a much lower price ... (I would rather have a 19 than a 18 if possible) , If i save a grand or so by waiting , and the bike is still "new" then I win either way ..... This is also dependent on whether my body holds up , I am thinking about having some more work done on my wrist , mainly to relieve some of the constant pain , and to improve the functionality of my fingers (my hand still looks like a Mannequin hand) .......but that means a few months of downtime , so not sure if I am willing to commit to that time off the bike right now when I am just starting to get back to some of my old speed , and next season I will be 60 when riding that bike , so its a lot to think about .................. 8-[
    Last edited by JimDirt on Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Back2-2

by Back2-2 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:41 pm

Your not getting any younger Jim & given the last two years of your med history I would get out & get one. =DD
    I can say this because we are about 10 minutes different in age and I know the facts about age & riding both street & dirt. :)

Do it man - you know you want to and daylight is burning..... :-~
    Neil
    Black Hills of SD
    Life without Motorcycles would just be boring, really boring
    Honda 450X. Yamaha Tracer GT900. HD Fat Boy. Triumph Bonneville. Yamaha Majesty 400. Yamaha Grizzly. Yamaha Wolverine. Yamaha TW200
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:02 pm

Yea , I hear ya .... Its just a major financial commitment , that is the main issue for me , is figuring out how to pay for it and still have money at the end of the month on my skimpy budget , otherwise I would have had one Saturday , I would have to sell both my bikes to make it work , which would get the finance amount down , because that will keep the payment price down , especially if I can add it to my truck loan without increasing the actual monthly payment.....

I will weigh my options and see what works , if I can swing it financially I will , if its financially sketchy , then I will have to wait a bit .... My R is handling about the best it ever has , since this last suspension tweak with the Pressure Spring change from 1.76 to 1.4 , but the new bike is just so much better right out of the box .....everywhere ..... but my old reliable is paid for and I am used to its quirks .... but .......... The new bikes are so much more than mine will ever be ............... I will figure something out
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Back2-2

by Back2-2 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:35 am

I'm just hackin on ya Jim. ;)
    I have always worked to have no debt and not buy anything I could not pay for.
    The sales of both your bikes should cover a big part of the new bike. They are both look to be in excellent shape and even though our bikes are old they seem to still have a really good resale, at least in my area.

Good luck on whatever you decide to do.

Just remember - we're not getting any young sweet cheeks... :lol:
    Neil
    Black Hills of SD
    Life without Motorcycles would just be boring, really boring
    Honda 450X. Yamaha Tracer GT900. HD Fat Boy. Triumph Bonneville. Yamaha Majesty 400. Yamaha Grizzly. Yamaha Wolverine. Yamaha TW200
  • Leardriver

by Leardriver » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:28 am

Here's what I worry about with the R/X. Philosophy mode switched on now.
    It's not a great single track bike, and it's not a great track bike. It's a compromise.

I often say, in other philosophy sessions, that a dual sport bike is a horrible street bike and a horrible dirt bike. It just happens to sorta' do both OK.

I am honest about my riding habits, and I want a great single track bike with a low first gear. If I get the urge to play at the track, I will borrow my son's '18 450R.
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:24 pm

Here's what I worry about with the R/X. Philosophy mode switched on now.
    It's not a great single track bike, and it's not a great track bike. It's a compromise.

I often say, in other philosophy sessions, that a dual sport bike is a horrible street bike and a horrible dirt bike. It just happens to sorta' do both OK.

I am honest about my riding habits, and I want a great single track bike with a low first gear. If I get the urge to play at the track, I will borrow my son's '18 450R.

According to the "tests" I have seen and read , it seems to be a excellent track bike for Vet type riders , and still decent off-road , tight stuff it might struggle , but maybe with a rear wheel/sprocket swap that would not be as much of a issue by going to a 51 or 52 instead of the 50 .... But I hear ya , as my X is a great single track bike (unless I fall , then its heavier than crap) , but overall , it is pretty unstoppable in the nastiest stuff i have ever found , My R works off road since the addition of the 13oz flywheel weight and kickstand and 3.2 tank , suspension is pretty dialed for off-road and MX , but on the track , it feels more like my X compared to the new Honda ..... so yea , compromises for both disciplines , for each bike , so that is a lot to think about as well , its just the fact that I have not had a new bike in 12 years , and it is about impossible to find a single "Do-All" bike that shines everywhere , so I expect some compromise , and I am fairly proficient in off-road , so I should be able to compensate , even with my bum hand ...

Unfortunately , the last 2 years I have been mainly track riding .....that is ..... when I am able to ride between each medical crisis , but I do plan on attacking the trails a lot more next season , but watching some videos on the RX , it looks to be capable , but then again , the guys riding in the videos have something to do with how the bike looks on single track or tighter stuff

That is why I am still sitting here and my old bikes are still in the shop , its a lot to consider , and the fact that the cost is a major factor with all this
    Last edited by JimDirt on Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Aussiecrf230

by Aussiecrf230 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:27 pm

Jim,
    If worrying about getting a new bike and how to pay for it is your only worries in life other that your health(ditto for most of us that health one) than you are blessed.
    The question of if you can only have one (no matter what it is) is a discussion that will drive you crazy.
    That is why most of us have multiples of things as we get older.
    There does come a time when only one ( car, bike, boat etc) makes good sense, but I know I am not that grown up yet.
    I haven't driven on the road for decades as preferred dirt and road was to dangerous with useless drivers. Mind when my son brought home his first road bike, a CBR500R it made me what to go out and buy a road bike again.

Give the decision some thought and do what is going to make you happy.
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

JimDirt

by JimDirt » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:38 am

Basically Ray , if I did not have the truck payment , this would have been a topic titled "Just rode and BOUGHT a 2019 450R" (or RX), instead of "Just Rode a 2019 450R" , as this is the big delima , as I live on a fairly tight budget , and I make sure that within that budget is the money to go places to ride and buy parts , etc. , and in my current situation , I manage fairly well considering the financial limits I am within

So this purchase is kind of dependent on what the bank says , if they can't work within what I would like to do , then I will have to wait a bit , till that is more feasible , as I am not so much worried about getting the loan , as I am making sure my payment/s stay within certain parameters , and by combining the 2 loans into 1 and keeping the payment the same or close to what it is now , if this can be arranged , then I will get my bike , if not , then I have to wait and just ride what I have that is long since been paid for , till I can keep the payments within reason ...... so , yea , in a sense , my main worries in life , after my health , is worrying about paying for a new bike , and I am hoping it stays that way ... 8-[
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho