08 crf450r noise
    JimDirt

Re: 08 crf450r noise

by JimDirt » Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:03 pm

Keep us posted , and hopefully you will have a great time riding with no mechanical issues ;) [-oo
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Charecter1

by Charecter1 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:01 pm

Okay so opened up the valve cover and the valves are in spec and the mechanic couldn’t find anything on the top end that would make the noise. He did tell me though that it seems like the bike has a lot of hours because the gasket to the valve cover was all dried out.

He had no answer for me what the noise was and said “well if anything is wrong, I guess you’ll find out your first dunes trip” ](*,). His diagnosis was that the bike is tired
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:16 pm

Well the dunes will tell you if its worn out or not , what I am still guessing is its the Timing Chain , and you should be able to get thru the season with that as long as its not completely toast

Keep us posted 8-[
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Charecter1

by Charecter1 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:10 pm

Well the dunes will tell you if its worn out or not , what I am still guessing is its the Timing Chain , and you should be able to get thru the season with that as long as its not completely toast

Keep us posted 8-[
    Wouldn’t the timing chain be more of a rattling sound and be louder with higher Rpms?
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:37 pm

Not always , sometimes its higher pitched , and kind of a whirring noise , it just depends
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Charecter1

by Charecter1 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:29 am

Not always , sometimes its higher pitched , and kind of a whirring noise , it just depends
    Okay thank you, I don’t think it’s going to snap anytime soon so I’ll just take it easy this season and replace the chain when I get the chance.
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:31 am

Okay thank you, I don’t think it’s going to snap anytime soon so I’ll just take it easy this season and replace the chain when I get the chance.
    I would not say you need to "take it easy" , just ride it like you normally would , if there is a issue , it will show itself eventually , weather you are putting it around , or hitting the MX track , if something is going to fail , it will , regardless of how gently or normally you ride it ....if it does let go , then you will ultimately find the cause , if it doesn't , then you will have fun riding till its time to tear it down and go thru everything ... A dirt bike engine will eventually wear out parts and break down , its the same as a rider who will eventually crash ,................... its not IF its going to happen , its when and how bad , but it IS going to happen , so just enjoy the riding till it does ;)
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Charecter1

by Charecter1 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:55 am

I would not say you need to "take it easy" , just ride it like you normally would , if there is a issue , it will show itself eventually , weather you are putting it around , or hitting the MX track , if something is going to fail , it will , regardless of how gently or normally you ride it ....if it does let go , then you will ultimately find the cause , if it doesn't , then you will have fun riding till its time to tear it down and go thru everything ... A dirt bike engine will eventually wear out parts and break down , its the same as a rider who will eventually crash ,................... its not IF its going to happen , its when and how bad , but it IS going to happen , so just enjoy the riding till it does ;)
    I won’t take it easy but I also don’t want to push its limits :lol: . One more question though, you said in the beginning that you thought the cam chain might just be too tight, is there anyway I can adjust it with the stock cam chain tensioner?
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:20 pm

Sort of , the stock tensioner has a adjustment screw per say , what it actually does is release tension and kind of springs back into position once released , what you can try (its possible the tensioner is stuck) is to remove the little screw in the center of the tensioner , inside you will find a flat screw slot , find a screwdriver that will fit in the hole and turn it till it catches the screw , then turn it clockwise , you should feel the tension on it , then back off the tension by turning counter clockwise until you feel the tension release , do not turn it farther , it should then be set in what would be the normal position , fire the bike back up and see if the noise is the same , you can "play" with it slightly while the engine is running by slightly moving it clockwise and counter ,(slightly) you will feel it bumping with the chain and hear it rattle when the chain is loose (when you turn it clockwise) then release the tension slowly till you feel it is free , and can remove the screwdriver , hopefully that was your noise , replace the seal screw and you're done

Its not a "adjustment per-say , its just a way to check to see if it got stuck and/or is working correctly , as the tensioner is supposed to "self adjust" , but sometimes they stick , or are going bad , in which case if you remove the tensioner itself and inspect it for cracks around the plunger at the housing itself , if you see any signs of damage , then replace the tensioner
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Charecter1

by Charecter1 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:55 pm

Sort of , the stock tensioner has a adjustment screw per say , what it actually does is release tension and kind of springs back into position once released , what you can try (its possible the tensioner is stuck) is to remove the little screw in the center of the tensioner , inside you will find a flat screw slot , find a screwdriver that will fit in the hole and turn it till it catches the screw , then turn it clockwise , you should feel the tension on it , then back off the tension by turning counter clockwise until you feel the tension release , do not turn it farther , it should then be set in what would be the normal position , fire the bike back up and see if the noise is the same , you can "play" with it slightly while the engine is running by slightly moving it clockwise and counter ,(slightly) you will feel it bumping with the chain and hear it rattle when the chain is loose (when you turn it clockwise) then release the tension slowly till you feel it is free , and can remove the screwdriver , hopefully that was your noise , replace the seal screw and you're done

Its not a "adjustment per-say , its just a way to check to see if it got stuck and/or is working correctly , as the tensioner is supposed to "self adjust" , but sometimes they stick , or are going bad , in which case if you remove the tensioner itself and inspect it for cracks around the plunger at the housing itself , if you see any signs of damage , then replace the tensioner
    Alright i will try that! Thank you for the help. I’ll give an update as soon as I am able to work on it
  • Charecter1

by Charecter1 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:17 pm

So new finding with the bike, I took it home from the shop and started messing around with the bike. The sound happens wether it’s in neutral or gear and it seems to go away when I pull the clutch in
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:32 pm

Well this is new info .... :-k , It sounds like the clutch basket may be wobbling/rattling , IF this is the case , lay the bike on its left side , remove the bolts holding the rounded cover , remove the cover (it just has a O-Ring for a seal) , remove the 6 bolts and springs holding the clutch plates in , then remove the clutch plates , keeping them in the order they came off (friction disk , plate , friction disk , plate , etc.) now grab the clutch outer basket as best you can and try to wobble/rock it , if it moves/wobbles , then the bushings are worn and i would also assume the basket is grooved where all the plate fingers go , if this is the case , replace the clutch basket and you are good to go ..... and it would be most noticeable when the engine is idling

This is a grooved basket
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Charecter1

by Charecter1 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:56 pm

Well this is new info .... :-k , It sounds like the clutch basket may be wobbling/rattling , IF this is the case , lay the bike on its left side , remove the bolts holding the rounded cover , remove the cover (it just has a O-Ring for a seal) , remove the 6 bolts and springs holding the clutch plates in , then remove the clutch plates , keeping them in the order they came off (friction disk , plate , friction disk , plate , etc.) now grab the clutch outer basket as best you can and try to wobble/rock it , if it moves/wobbles , then the bushings are worn and i would also assume the basket is grooved where all the plate fingers go , if this is the case , replace the clutch basket and you are good to go ..... and it would be most noticeable when the engine is idling

This is a grooved basket
    Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it! I’m hoping I found my noise. I’ll see what I can find this weekend and give an update. =DD
  • Charecter1

by Charecter1 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:32 pm

So I got the clutch cover off and took the plates out to see if the basket wobbles and it does. So I think this is my noise🤞🏻. The basket itself isn’t grooves but it definitely wobbles side to side and top and bottom. So I’m thinking I need to replace the needle bearing and the sleeve plus the basket. I did try to listen closer when the clutch cover is on when I give it about quarter throttle is when the noise is the worst. When I pulled in the clutch the sound was still there but very faint and not nearly as bad. So I’m going to replace the clutch parts. Thank you for the help!
  • Charecter1

by Charecter1 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:29 pm

Update on my clutch, it turns out my bike has a Hinson clutch basket. The collar and needle bearing are fine, my problem is that the primary gear on the back of the basket has a pretty good amount of play in it. I’m going to go back to oem and see if that fixes it