Coolant overflow bottle
  • Joshua92

Coolant overflow bottle

by Joshua92 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:56 am

Hey fellas ...
    I got a 2005 crf450r and I'm thinking about putting an overflow bottle on it .
    I got a 275cc coolant recovery tank from mxstore.com and I was wondering if it would be ok to run one .
    It's my first Honda and I just got the top end rebuilt .
    JimDirt

Re: Coolant overflow bottle

by JimDirt » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:24 pm

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

Yes it should work fine , as long as it is set up to allow the fluid to flow back into the radiator , I personally use a CRF250X bottle and hose setup and it works great , so if you have any issues with the one you bought , just go on EBay and get a 250X one and you're good to go
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Aussiecrf230

by Aussiecrf230 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:28 am

Jim,
    Are both the X and the R the same type of radiator cap?
    Just wondering if the X cap allows return whereas R may not as never had the overflow tank.
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

It starts,it runs,it gets to where all CRFs can get to without the valve or valve plate dramas
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:13 am

Jim,
    Are both the X and the R the same type of radiator cap?
    Just wondering if the X cap allows return whereas R may not as never had the overflow tank.
    Yes they both use the same cap , the same overflow outlet , which is where the tank hose is connected , one flows to the ground and one goes to the tank to be recovered when it starts to cool down , and the tank has its own overflow should the thing overheat to the point where it filled the tank , it has somewhere to drain out ( you start off with the tank half full , so it can accept then suck back coolant), so pretty much its the same closed system for both bikes , with the exception that at the factory because the R is not setup to be trail ridden they omit the overflow tank , where the trail ridden X (250 and 450) have the overflow tank due to riding in slower conditions where the bike is more prone to overheating ..... basically , same bike in almost every aspect except 1 is a stripped down model and 1 has all the bells and whistles , the only other difference is the X radiators are larger than the R so that aids in cooling as well , but the overflow will work the same on both bikes ....

I know , :lol: a simple yes would have sufficed :-~
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho