2007 crf450r engine rattle with videos SOLVED
  • cemetery2390

2007 crf450r engine rattle with videos SOLVED

by cemetery2390 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:47 am

the bike runs amazing, other than some vibration rattle noise, ive had the valves readjusted last week and the guy said everything came back perfect, timing chain was not wore out, and only needed 2/4 shims. I was told it was my rekluse clutch ratteling but i seem to think it is not since i have a rekluse clutch basket also even though the rattling is on the clutch side.i thought it was the skid plate so i took it off, was still theyre just not as loud. ive uploaded 2 videos with the sound, any help would be appreciated.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nb94i7izngI
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydQOyj3eNso
    Last edited by cemetery2390 on Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
    JimDirt

Re: 2007 crf450r engine rattle with videos

by JimDirt » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:10 pm

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

It's hard to diagnose from a video , but everything i hear sounds "normal" to me , also the reason it quieted down when you removed the skid plate is because the aluminum reflects any noise and actually amplifies it , i run a Devol skid plate on my 02 and the engine noise reflects up and its more rattly sounding with it on , but i could probably make a video of my bike and it would sound about like yours , and nothing is wrong with mine

Unless your seeing symptoms of something amiss like missing , or not wanting to idle , or stalling , i would not worry too much about the noise , as far as vibration goes , if its vibrating while your riding and the skid plate is on , take something like a tool box drawer liner (rubber) or camper shell foam tape that has 1 side sticky , and put a strip down each frame rail in between , the frame and the skid plate , see if that lessens the vibration , that is what i do with mine ....

On a side note if your valves needed shims , then they are on their way out , and will keep on going out of adjustment until they zero out , which might be soon , or last you thru the season .....
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • cemetery2390

by cemetery2390 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:51 pm

Thanks for the reply! Yea the bike runs amazing, not a skip or a miss anywhere. It just kills me hearing that after coming from a wr450f with bearly no sounds like that. I guess ill keep it going i see that alot of people say the engine is just noisy, and rebuild the whole top end this winter. Ive ordered some new bushings and anti squeal x rings for the rekluse clutch basket just in case that could be it, was only like $20 for everything so i couldnt pass it up.
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:37 pm

Hopefully that resolves it , but i think your going to find its just the "normal" CRF engine noise , like i mentioned , a aluminum skid plate (like the Devol i have) , if yours is aluminum , amplifies the engine noise , but any skid plate with the side fins will direct the noise right at you , so its like being inside a drum ...................... you'll get used to it :/ ........

Once i am on the bike riding , i never notice the noise ....
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • cemetery2390

by cemetery2390 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:41 pm

Hopefully that resolves it , but i think your going to find its just the "normal" CRF engine noise , like i mentioned , a aluminum skid plate (like the Devol i have) , if yours is aluminum , amplifies the engine noise , but any skid plate with the side fins will direct the noise right at you , so its like being inside a drum ...................... you'll get used to it :/ ........

I ordered some of this seems like itll be more than better for our application. Figured i couldnt pass it up and give it a try... https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/10 ... 986&v=5538
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:49 pm

I ordered some of this seems like itll be more than better for our application. Figured i couldnt pass it up and give it a try... https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/10 ... 986&v=5538
    That will help deaden the noise somewhat , but its mostly used for keeping mud from accumulating in the cradle under the engine , but the rubber/foam strips i was referring to (like what is used between a camper shell and the bed rails of a pickup) go directly between the frame rails and the skid plate , where this "foam" block you are showing just rest loosely in the cradle between the frame rails , and really does not separate the skid plate from the frame , which the camper shell foam sticky strips does , and WILL not only lessen the noise due to removing the direct contact and vibration it causes , but it will also allow the frame to flex as it was designed , which helps with handling by removing any lack of frame flex harshness you might get from the skid plate stiffening the chassis from being so tight against the frame rails , not allowing the frame cradle to flex as it was designed to do , which are both reasons why I use it ..............
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • cemetery2390

by cemetery2390 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:33 pm

That will help deaden the noise somewhat , but its mostly used for keeping mud from accumulating in the cradle under the engine , but the rubber/foam strips i was referring to (like what is used between a camper shell and the bed rails of a pickup) go directly between the frame rails and the skid plate , where this "foam" block you are showing just rest loosely in the cradle between the frame rails , and really does not separate the skid plate from the frame , which the camper shell foam sticky strips does , and WILL not only lessen the noise due to removing the direct contact and vibration it causes , but it will also allow the frame to flex as it was designed , which helps with handling by removing any lack of frame flex harshness you might get from the skid plate stiffening the chassis from being so tight against the frame rails , not allowing the frame cradle to flex as it was designed to do , which are both reasons why I use it ..............
    turns out the sound was definitely from the clutch, put new friction plates in, all is well. so much more quite!
    JimDirt

Re: 2007 crf450r engine rattle with videos SOLVED

by JimDirt » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:18 pm

I don't have any experience with Rekluse , so I would not have thought that worn plates would cause a rattle , but now that i think about it , they run looser than a stock clutch , so maybe that is how they show signs of wear ...... either way , glad you got it resolved ..... =DD
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho