Crf450 2015 and 2017 fuel consumption
  • Tunster

Crf450 2015 and 2017 fuel consumption

by Tunster » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:19 pm

Hi guys my son and i are doing a hare and hounds enduro this weekend. The lap is around 8 miles long and the race is 3 hours. I know this is a bit of an odd question but roughly how many laps do you think we can get out of standard fuel tanks? Im trying to work out pit stops.Both bikes are the mx models.
    Any help or advise is much appreciated.
    JimDirt

Re: Crf450 2015 and 2017 fuel consumption

by JimDirt » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:50 pm

I would guess it would depend on how the course is set up , if there are a lot of slow technical sections , or a lot of high speed sections , or a lot of deep sand washes to rob mileage , that will determine how the fuel is used up , i would guess you should expect about 20-30 miles on a tank at any kind of race pace i am guessing , but that again depends on the speed average of each lap , so i would say at the very least you will have 3 pit stops , it would also depend on how many crew members you have , if you have 3 or 4 guys , then i would set up 3 fueling areas along the course that way you can just pull in top off and go losing minimal time , unless they only allow 1 designated pit area , if that is the case , then just plan on doing fuel stops every 2 laps , but i would not push it past 2 laps , or you might just end up pushing it to the next pit , you may lose a slight bit of time , say 30 seconds per lap depending on the gas jug you use **I use the Tuff Jug , it has a sort of quick-fill setup , you just hold the can inverted and push it into the opening and when the gas hits the lip , it stops fuel flow , and you pull it out without spilling a drop and i can do 1.5-2 gal , in about 5-8 seconds** for those stops , but you would be safe to not run out that way http://www.tuffjug.com/ , they come in 2.5 and 5 gal , i put my Av Gas and Premium in the 5 gallon ones , then mix them in the 2.5 gal cans and those are what i take to the track as the 2.5 are so much easier to lift up to the tank and hold it than a 5 gal

Do they allow you to pre-run the course to get a feel for the layout ??? , if so you can fill up , run thru the course at a mediocre speed and re-fill and see how much fuel you use in 1 lap , that should give you a good guideline , since under race conditions you would subtract about 1/4 of that distance to get a good idea on fuel mileage , i don't race off-road , so i am just giving estimates , but i know when i do motos on a GP type course (rough whooped out 3rd gear stuff) , i get about 5 laps per moto , at about 3.2 minutes per lap , for about 15-17 minutes , i believe its about a 2.3 mile lap, and do 4 motos on Saturday , and the same on Sunday (I will be 59 next week), and use about 1-1/4 gallons of gas total for each day , so i can do all 4 motos on 1 tank of gas and end up with about 1/4 - 1/2 a gallon leftover on my 2.0 gal stock tank , but that is with a Carbureted CRF450R not one with EFI , so yours would better that by at least 1 quart or so ...................... hope that helped somewhat ..... 8-[
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Tunster

by Tunster » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:19 am

Thanks jimdirt. I was guessing on doing two laps then refuel and then at least i can roughly guess if i can make 3 laps depending on whats left in the tank. Theres only 1 designated pit area to fuel up and i dont think you get to ride the course before the race. Weve had no rain here for weeks now in this part of the uk but guess what? Its forcast to arrive saturday and sunday! Typical! Hers a link to youtube from last year.
    Im guessing it will be similar.
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:02 am

That course looks like it would be a blast , with the exception of the wet grass , but it seems pretty open terrain , so i think that will help with mileage as long as you don't get stuck in some of those mud bogs , and the 4 stroke will get better mileage than the 2 smoke , so that will help as well .... I think you will do fine with the stock tank for now as long as you stick to the 2 lap plan , ...... Good Luck to both your son and yourself ................. ;)
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Tunster

by Tunster » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:55 am

Thanks jimdirt. I'll let you know how we get on.
  • Tunster

by Tunster » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:31 am

Well the heavens opened and made things a little tricky for a while. My son couldnt get to grips with it and didnt want to destroy his bike ending with a dnf. Oh well stick to mx in future.
    Myself, i got took out big style on the first technical part of the track by some idiot who was way out of control. Manage six laps and finished 19th in the over 50s class. I think i may have a couple of broken ribs. I was physically spent and struggling to breath so it could have gone better. Oh well that racing.
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:36 pm

Well the heavens opened and made things a little tricky for a while. My son couldnt get to grips with it and didnt want to destroy his bike ending with a dnf. Oh well stick to mx in future.
    Myself, i got took out big style on the first technical part of the track by some idiot who was way out of control. Manage six laps and finished 19th in the over 50s class. I think i may have a couple of broken ribs. I was physically spent and struggling to breath so it could have gone better. Oh well that racing.
    Wow !!! :shock: Sorry to hear about the misfortunes , I know rib injuries suck for healing , and breathing is tough till it does heal , especially at our age , and tell your son MX can be just a tough as the race you just completed , so no guarantee he is going to not have really bad days on the track either , but at least you made it thru the event with no bike malfunctions , so you could look at that as a good thing ..... did you notice anything with fuel mileage and your pit stop/s ?? , how low were you when you topped off ?? (how much fuel did you have to add ??) , or were you too busy trying to survive thru the race to worry about it ???
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Tunster

by Tunster » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:30 am

I did 2 laps about 16 miles then pulled in to check fuel. I had about half a tank still so i filled up to the top and went for 3 laps. I could possibly have done another lap but didnt want to risk it. So 3 more laps then filled up to about 2/3 as time was running out i knew i would be lucky to get 2 more laps in. Unfortunately i binned it on a slippy hill in the woods and by the time i got back to the bottom for another run i was struggling to breath. I made it back to the pits and that was that. I was done for. Ive been to a practice track since and rode ok but still struggling with the ribs so will just have to wait awhile and do the spannering instead.
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:28 pm

Yea , I can struggle thru arm pump , or thirst , or pain from falling , but when you can't breath , it takes it all out of you just to get back to the truck , I have breathing issues with Asthma and Emphysema and part of my lung getting cut out due to cancer last year , and now when my lungs say they have had enough and I start gasping because I overexerted or struggled to pick the bike up and wore myself out , then there is no arguing with them , and it's time to pull off before I get hurt , or end up in the hospital. :( .....

Well hopefully you will have better luck at the next one , and it seems you have the mileage figured out , so you should be good at the next race ..... 8)
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Aussiecrf230

by Aussiecrf230 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:05 pm

Cracking a rib or two is one thing. Splitting the cartilage between ribs is a whole new meaning to pain. Great that you finished and the fuel usage was good.
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

It starts,it runs,it gets to where all CRFs can get to without the valve or valve plate dramas
  • Leardriver

by Leardriver » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:26 pm

My worst injury ever, other than mutilating my knee, was breaking my sternum. You can't breathe, laugh, sneeze, cough, etc. for 2 months.