'13 CRF450r Idle Issues
  • jccole2011

'13 CRF450r Idle Issues

by jccole2011 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:54 am

Hey guys,

I recently came across a 2013 CRF450r for sale that was too hard to pass up for the price. Understanding there would likely be some issue with a bike for that price, I pulled the trigger. I enjoy fixing things up so it wasn't a big deal to me. However, this is my first EFI bike and i've had to scratch my head more on this bike than any before. I ordered a service manual but hoping someone on here can help me trouble shoot a few things or give some pointers before it arrives.

The first thing I did when I got it home was pull the fuel tank and fuel pump. I cleaned the fuel filter as much as you can, cleaned the fuel tank, and reinstalled. I put fresh 91 octane in and started it up.

With the choke out, the bike fired right up after a few (2-3) kicks which was expected after draining all the lines.. I let the bike warm up until the exhaust and radiators had warmed up then pushed the choke back in.

Blipped the throttle one or two times and then it stalled out. Started it again, blipped the throttle, stalled again.. and again.. and again..

Turned the idle up one click and tried again. It ran longer this time. blipped the throttle and it didnt stall. so I let it idle thinking there was probably something gummed up that just needed fresh fuel pushed through to pass. Maybe two minutes of idling and it stalled.

At any rate, this continued to where I am now. Been scratching my head for a while now. Sure doesnt seem like its getting enough fuel but what do I know?

No indicator lights on the handlebars.

SOS!
  • Leardriver

Re: '13 CRF450r Idle Issues

by Leardriver » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:24 pm

How long since it has been ridden? A fuel injector that has been on vacation for a long time may be clean enough to start with the enrichment circuit on, but maybe not a great idler due to fuel crud and build up.

I would ride it. FI bikes are slightly more self-cleaning as you ride than a carb bike, due to more fuel pressure, and perhaps a few laps around a track may clear it up.
  • Back2-2

by Back2-2 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:34 pm

As leardriver stated it may just need some time to get fuel through the system - I would add a few ounces of Seafoam to the fuel first. I am by no means a guy that believes in miracles in a can but that Seafoam has really impressed my with it's ability to clean fuel varnish out of fuel systems.
    Neil
    Black Hills of SD
    Life without Motorcycles would just be boring, really boring
    Honda 450X. Yamaha Tracer GT900. HD Fat Boy. Triumph Bonneville. Yamaha Majesty 400. Yamaha Grizzly. Yamaha Wolverine. Yamaha TW200
  • jccole2011

by jccole2011 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:41 pm

Leardriver, thanks for the reply as this is really starting to irritate me. I spent some time messing with it this evening but I don’t think I can ride it as suggested. The bike won’t stay running without the choke as of this evening.

I’m guessing the previous owner had it sitting in storage for the last 5 months since NY winters are seemingly never ending.

Tonight’s update: pulled the choke out, it started on the first kick. I let it warm up until exhaust and radiators were warm. Pushed the choke in and it immediately died.

Pulled the choke back out, made two clockwise turns on the idle adjustment, started on first kick. Pushed the choke back in, immediately died.

Tried to start it with the choke in, wouldn’t start until the fourth or fifth choke and throttle turned. It started up and reved high due to being on throttle. Backed off the throttle, immediately died.

Conclusion: with the choke out, it runs like a million bucks. With the bike running and choke out, there is no difference in idle speed if adjustments are made. Seems like idle adjustment doesn’t do anything. Planning on pulling injector and cleaning this weekend and checking regulator/rectifier.. any ideas?
  • jccole2011

by jccole2011 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:48 pm

Back2-2, I currently have some injector cleaner (not sea foam) mixed with the fresh 91 octane in the tank. I’ve put nearly 0.75hrs on the motor since I added injector cleaner and fresh fuel but haven’t seen any improvement. If anything, it’s gotten worse. Sunday, I had it idling for a few seconds without the choke. Tonight, it dies immediately after pushing choke back in.

Note: the bike does have a full yoshimura pipe on it. Don’t think that would make a difference since fuel injected bikes are self-adjusting for the most part.

Also the MIL doesn’t indicate any trouble codes. One solid light at start-up then nothing after.
  • Back2-2

by Back2-2 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:29 am

Is there any possibility you have a clogged air filter or something blocking the intake ?

Seafoam is incredible stuff - don't over look it. My Triumph gang turned me on to it and I was super impressed of how well it works with the current day pump gas we have.

Good luck & thanks for keeping us posted.
    Neil
    Black Hills of SD
    Honda 450X. Yamaha Tracer GT900. HD Fat Boy. Triumph Bonneville. Yamaha Majesty 400. Yamaha Grizzly. Yamaha Wolverine. Yamaha TW200
  • jccole2011

by jccole2011 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:32 pm

Update after today’s work:

To rule everything out, I started the bike up with the choke out and Yoshimura exhaust on. Let it warm up, pushed choke in and it died. Again, worked the idle adjustment +/-3 clicks trying each one. No improvement.

Pulled Yoshimura pipes off and put on stockers. Went through the same procedure as with Yoshimura pipes. No improvements. Injector Time!!

Before tearing the bike apart to check injectors, I changed the oil and filter. Noticed there was definitely fuel in the oil. I’ve seen some conversations about fuel in oil issues on this forum so I’ll read up on that. Not sure if it would be related to idle issue or not.

Pulled the spark plug and it was pretty black, slightly wet.

Pulled injector and have it sitting in a cup of SeaFoam. I’ll pick up a new spark plug after work tomorrow then reinstall injector/throttle body to see if she’ll run after all that.

If not, I suppose I’ll go through the service manual step-by-step. Any other suggestions or things I should check while the bike is torn apart? I would think the MIL would catch issues with valves, timing, etc... right?
  • Back2-2

by Back2-2 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:54 pm

Without a high pressure spray tool soaking is probably not going to do anything for the injector. I can understand the fuel in the oil and the wet plug from having the choke on and not being able to run the bike off choke to burn off the overly rich mixture.
    Possibly a bad oxygen sensor throwing off the fuel schedule ?
    Neil
    Black Hills of SD
  • jccole2011

by jccole2011 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:01 pm

I agree. The right equipment would be ideal for cleaning the injector but it’s better than nothing!

Wouldn’t you think the MIL would pick up a bad oxygen sensor? Again, I’m unfamiliar with these fuel injected bikes. Just seems like something that would throw a code.

The service manual is supposed to be delivered tomorrow so I will have a little bit of time after work to start poking through that. The owners manual mentions to “check ignition timing.” That isn’t something that is commonly out of spec is it?
  • Back2-2

by Back2-2 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:12 pm

I agree. The right equipment would be ideal for cleaning the injector but it’s better than nothing!

Wouldn’t you think the MIL would pick up a bad oxygen sensor? Again, I’m unfamiliar with these fuel injected bikes. Just seems like something that would throw a code.

The service manual is supposed to be delivered tomorrow so I will have a little bit of time after work to start poking through that. The owners manual mentions to “check ignition timing.” That isn’t something that is commonly out of spec is it?
    Yeah I guess it can't hurt to soak it and then put it in and let pressurized fuel with Seafoam go throw and try to clear the varnish that may be built up in it.
    The Computer ECU only uses conductivity to tell if an oxygen sensor is completing the circuit. There could be a problem that the sensor may be receiving some miss-information and commanding telling the injector to not function properly? The manual you will get will give you a troubleshooting guide and hopefully it will track down what is going on.
    More than likely it will be something simple - start there. Simple first is always a good plan for troubleshooting.
    Good luck and sorry to not be much help.
    Neil
    Black Hills of SD
  • Leardriver

by Leardriver » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:22 am

I hate to see you tear apart a bike that may be just fine. Rather than turn screws and change settings, go ride it.
    How a bike performs on the stand can be drastically different than how it rides. If you ride it a while and it still isn't behaving, you can always start buying parts for it. Spring time is famous for idling gremlins.
  • jccole2011

by jccole2011 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:20 am

Leardriver, I wish I didn't have to tear it apart but I have to send the suspension in for a revalve and figured it would be a good time to tune it up. Even if it was all together, I don't think it will run long enough for me to get it in gear unless I left the hot start adjustment out. Not to mention the 6" of snow still on the ground! #-o
  • Leardriver

by Leardriver » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:24 am

Yes, leave the enrichment out. It doesn't care. It will pop back in when you hit a bump.
  • jccole2011

by jccole2011 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:18 pm

Sorry for the delayed response guys! I promise I wasn’t leaving you hanging; just had a lot of other work going on before the bike was back together. Without further ado, here’s a list of events since last post:

Factory Connection suspension revalve.
    Cleaned injector. (Seafoam for 24hrs)
    Cleaned fuel pump
    New fuel filter
    New air filter
    New spark plug
    Fresh 91-octane (ethanol free)
    Throttle cable adjustment
    Cleaned elevated idle knob
    Reset idle adjustment settings

I finally finished reinstalling all these parts last night. After a few kicks, while holding the kill switch, she came back to life. Of course, the elevated idle was still on at this point. The real question at hand was whether or not it would idle normally.

After it warmed up for a good 3-minutes, I crossed my fingers and pushed the idle back in. ALL PROBLEMS FIXED. It idled without issues until I was convinced it was fixed.

I’m not sure whether it was injector, spark plug, or fuel filter but whatever it was, it’s fixed now!