CDI Box Fried, physically melted
  • Belleneric93

CDI Box Fried, physically melted

by Belleneric93 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:42 pm

So background of the bike, it's a 07 CRF450R, bought it all messed up (crank bearings broken timing chain guide tab) basically all the good stuff. Bought the bike for on/off road use (live in NH so very easy to register these bikes) so when I put it back together I put the trail tech 40w D.C. Stator and wiring harness, trail tech, headlight, taillight, etc, all was good it was running great I put about 150 miles on it when I got home I shut it off, went to start it the next day nothing, no spark at all (bad spell) took the plastics off to test and got no power at coil, look at the cdi and the plastic was melted all over my front fender, so before I replace the cdi can someone shed some light on why it would melt? Or how to prevent the next one from melting?
    JimDirt

Re: CDI Box Fried, physically melted

by JimDirt » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:32 pm

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

You might want to contact Trail Tech , it sounds like something went to ground or a dead short , is this a unit with the little battery pack built into it behind the headlight ?? , if so , its possible that something shorted direct to ground in the wires going TO the CDI , that is the only thing i can think of that could do that , as usually when the bike is off so is the power load , so it has to be a direct short somewhere and it got real hot either while riding , or afterwards if a battery was involved , as that is the only way to pass power after the bike is off and the stator is not putting out , is thru a battery , either way the stator is toast , but hopefully Trail Tech will cover it , or at least maybe take the unit and test it , and hopefully replace it with a new unit... , unfortunately that means your bike is down till one of the above happens ... :(
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho