Transmission Oil into Engine Oil
    BigP

Transmission Oil into Engine Oil

by BigP » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:39 pm

Bike: 2005 CRF 450R
    Problem: Transmission Oil into Engine Oil, and all the oil leaks out the breather tube (big problem).
    Request: Can anyone suggest for me where to start.

I had the typical water pump problem with my bike. So recently I replaced all the bearings and seals for the counter balance shaft and water pump. Aside from the prior coolant leak I had no issues up until this point.

I started the bike went for a test ride, and after about a mile or two I checked the levels of all the fluids and notice that oil was coming out of the breather tube and in large quantity (not like a slow leak). I ride back and drain the oil, and its reddish. Just to make sure the oil wasn't just dirty, I put in the fresh stuff and go for another test ride. Same thing red mix out the breather tube..

So questions:

Did I put the seals in right? (Where can I find a reference to check.)

What other seals would blow out that would make the transmission oil travel over to the engine side and overfill the engine oil?
    Are there any other things I should be checking?
    Should I consider replacing all the seals?

On a side note, the bike engine runs strong. So I feel that there is no blowby around the piston. Spark plug is completely clean.
    JimDirt

Re: Transmission Oil into Engine Oil

by JimDirt » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:56 pm

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

I am assuming the oil did not transfer before so either you installed something incorrectly , or a seal just decided this was the time to go
    Generally when you get oil transfer its the Right Crank Seal (not the Balancer seal) (take note of the orientation when removing , reinstall new one same direction) , you did not mention what breather tube the oil is coming out of , the one on the valve cover ? , or the one for the transmission ? , , if its the valve cover that is because of the extra oil , if it was the transmission , same would hold true , oil transferring to transmission side , as for the oil color , is anything in the engine Red ?? , like Coolant ? (water pump seal installed in wrong direction) , Transmission Oil ??? , etc , , if not and if its metallic then it could be brass (generally rod bearing is brass, but you would most likely find shrapnel in the filter or when draining into a pan) or clutch material (common but nothing to worry about unless clutch plates are worn out), there is nothing internal in the engine that would cause a red tint to the oil so the issue would have to be one of the ones mentioned above

Hope that helps some
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
    BigP

by BigP » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:16 pm

Thanks for the welcome and reply.

The oil comes out of the valve cover breather and coolant is unaffected.
    The oil that comes out of the breather tube is red tinted.
    I'll check the oil seal in the counter balance shaft and see if I put it in correctly.

I am surprised with the amount of oil that comes out of the breather in the time frame of riding a couple miles. I wouldn't have though that the bancer oil seal would have been under high enough pressure from the transmission to get by to the engine side so quickly.

When I get to fixing it I will take pics.
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:22 pm

No , re-read what i posted , i said "Not the Bancer Seal" , its the Right Crankshaft Seal , just to be clear ;)

I still can't figure out the Red tint , unless a Red tinted oil was used or Red coolant :-k

The seal is a fairly easy fix , you were almost there when you replaced the other seals , but the overfilling of oil is why its coming out the tube , fix the seal and you fix the oil pumping out the tube
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
    BigP

by BigP » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:50 pm

Thanks for the tips. I will get into the seals and we will see if it works.

Honda Transmission oil (What I used) is dyed red. Thought the info might help.

Cheers!