2010 CRF450R won't start
  • 19Nova72

2010 CRF450R won't start

by 19Nova72 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:57 am

Hi my name's Scott and I'm fairly new to riding dirt bikes. My bike has been running fine until I tipped it over in a large mud puddle yesterday! It only ran for a few seconds before it died in the puddle. For the life of me I can't get it to start now. I took the air cleaner off, cleaned the spark plug, verified it still has spark, and I did a compression test and it's making 57psi. I even blew compressed air into the cylinder to dry it out. I just pulled the motor dipstick and it was full of chocolate milk! Before I fill it with fresh oil and try it again I just wanted to hear your thoughts. Thanks Scott

Update: so I noticed a bunch of water in the exhaust so I removed the exhaust pipe and muffler. That didn't fix it. It seems it has a very weak spark. I'm used to working on car engines that have a strong blue spark. This is a small yellowish orange spark. What could be causing the weak spark?
    JimDirt

Re: 2010 CRF450R won't start

by JimDirt » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:47 pm

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

You mentioned it fell into a puddle , if it was in the puddle long enough for the oil to turn milky , then water had to get either sucked in to the air cleaner , or thru the exhaust when it died , and it sucked in the water thru the muffler , its possible that the packing in the muffler is saturated , this could lead to the water running down inside the pipe to the head , water does not compress , nor burn , so i would look to see if any water got in the tank as well , it will sit at the bottom and basically prevent the fuel getting to the Throttle Body or injectors , i would also make sure to blow out all electrical connections that could have been submersed in water , as they could be grounding out , basically , you got water where its not supposed to be

I would put some cheap oil in , and once you get it fired up (i would dump the gas out and flush the tank and start with gas you know is fresh and water free) , and run it for 30 -40 seconds , and shut it down , and drain the oil again , do this at least 2 times , then put in fresh good oil and a new filter , as the water left in the engine will ruin your bearings and cam and cause issues down the road , the not running , should not be a issue once you get all the connections and fresh gas and air filter taken care of , you might end up having to repack the muffler soon , as the water will destroy the packing and pretty quick you will have nothing left inside the muffler , if the bike had stayed running you most likely would have picked it up and continued on your ride with no issues , the engine stopping is what sucked in the water

Your compression is right where it should be at 57..........
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • 19Nova72

Re: 2010 CRF450R won't start

by 19Nova72 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:41 am

Well I finally got it running! I have no idea what made it work. I feel like my stator works sometimes and not others. Sounds like guys have had problems with the factory stators so will probably replace that before I go riding again. Thanks for the help!