2003 crf 450r no spark
  • Rearviewneons

2003 crf 450r no spark

by Rearviewneons » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:50 pm

After searching websites and looking at Similair problems to what I am having I need more help.
    I have a 2003 crf 450r. I was out riding the other day, landed a jump and the bike shut off. While I was coasting I was able to bump start it. It stayed on for about 3 seconds and shut back off. I was unable to get it to turn back on after that. Neither kicking it over or push starting worked. Got it home and see I don't have any spark. Tried new spark plug, checked the wires, unplugged the kill switch. It's becoming aggravating. I would assume it was a loose wire because of the bike shutting off on landing but I couldn't find anything. Anyone have any ideas?
    JimDirt

Re: 2003 crf 450r no spark

by JimDirt » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:37 pm

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

Did you try checking the connection of the power wire plug that goes to the coil ?? , it has a boot over it so it may look connected and just be lying there , usually it gets unplugged when removing the gas tank as the gas shut off valve will get hung up on the wire and pull on it

Usually that is what it is when you hit some kind of bump and it dies

Check and report back with findings ....
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Rearviewneons

by Rearviewneons » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:54 am

Thanks for the input! I just took it off the bike unplugged it and plugged it back in and I'm still unable to get any spark. Any other ideas that you can think off?

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

Did you try checking the connection of the power wire plug that goes to the coil ?? , it has a boot over it so it may look connected and just be lying there , usually it gets unplugged when removing the gas tank as the gas shut off valve will get hung up on the wire and pull on it

Usually that is what it is when you hit some kind of bump and it dies

Check and report back with findings ....
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:04 pm

When checking the wires did you unplug/plug each connection to the CDI , Stator , etc ?? , if you disconnected the kill switch wires (both of them) completely , then that would eliminate the kill switch failing , so your left with Coil , Spark Plug Boot , Stator wires down by the front sprocket , and up the frame rail , and the CDI , thats about it for connections , so the only thing you can do is triple check every plug in , and make sure there is no loose connection , you can take a Continuity Tester (it beeps when you touch the 2 probes together) and check each end of each wire to make sure that somehow a wire did not get pulled on somehow and broke internally without breaking the coating , so trace each wire and check on each end of it unplugged , to make sure its getting current thru the wire from one end to the other.....thats about all i can suggest other than what you have already tried ... :-k
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Rearviewneons

by Rearviewneons » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:24 pm

Thanks for all the help. It ended up being the stator. I swapped it out with a new one and she's running great again. Thanks again

When checking the wires did you unplug/plug each connection to the CDI , Stator , etc ?? , if you disconnected the kill switch wires (both of them) completely , then that would eliminate the kill switch failing , so your left with Coil , Spark Plug Boot , Stator wires down by the front sprocket , and up the frame rail , and the CDI , thats about it for connections , so the only thing you can do is triple check every plug in , and make sure there is no loose connection , you can take a Continuity Tester (it beeps when you touch the 2 probes together) and check each end of each wire to make sure that somehow a wire did not get pulled on somehow and broke internally without breaking the coating , so trace each wire and check on each end of it unplugged , to make sure its getting current thru the wire from one end to the other.....thats about all i can suggest other than what you have already tried ... :-k
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:50 pm

That's really strange , i have not heard of a stator going bad when landing from a jump , it must have had a bad wind and when it got the impact shock , it shorted out , sucks that's what it was , though they do just fail , usually they work fine till you shut it off then it won't re-start , but its rare for it to just die when you land off the jump .....hmmmmmm... , i have never heard of one doing that :-k
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho