2004 CRF450r
  • robdamech

2004 CRF450r

by robdamech » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:45 pm

The bike was running fine and then poof it wouldn't start, no spark. Did all the testing in the manual and it looked like the CDI was bad. Everything else tested good, no shorts that I can find, good continuity between the the various connectors. So I ordered an OEM CDI and still no luck. I have tried a couple different coils and plugs so I went ahead and bought a new stator (even though the resistance tests were good) and still no spark. The kill switch is disconnected and I have checked and rechecked connections, grounds etc.

I did connect the kill switch wires together and it will give one good spark and then nothing, disconnect the wires, turn over a couple of times and reconnect and one good spark, but only one. I have power going into the CDI and about .010 volts coming from the CDI and going to the coil.

Can I use a CDI out of a 250r or maybe a 450x? I have access to those, but don't know anyone with a 450r close to this year.....
    JimDirt

Re: 2004 CRF450r

by JimDirt » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:20 pm

Welcome to the site !! :D

So it seems you have a manual , so did you do any checking with the coil resistor spark plug cap itself ?? , sometimes they go bad , if you are using it on all the coils your testing , its possible its because the cap itself is bad and not the coil that you not getting any positive results from swapping them ....its worth checking , since it seems you checked/replaced the "logical" items ....and just for kicks and giggles , did you verify its getting fuel to the plug ??? , are the plugs wet/damp when you pull them out after test firing/starting the bike ?? , its just something else to eliminate and is sometimes overlooked....
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho